Applying for a Website
This helpsheet will take you through applying for a website. By the end of this helpsheet you will have a basic website set up for you to use.
Before applying for your free website you need to be a registered user. See the helpsheet on Registering for an Account.
Once you have registered and logged in you can apply for your website. The information you enter on the application form will be used to create the homepage of your website. You can edit these details later if you wish.
To apply for a website:
- Go to the site's homepage.
- Click on Apply for a website - the site will ask you to log in if you have not already done so.
- If asked, choose the type of community site you are applying for (School, Council, etc).
- Fill in the application form - the fields indicated by a * must be filled in.
- Your contact details - These are confidential and will not appear on the site.
- Organisation Details - Enter the name and description of your organisation. These details will appear on your website.
- Organisation Contact Details - If entered, these will also appear on your website.
- Area - If this is present on the form, select the area in which your community is based.
- Keywords - Select a number of keywords to help users find your site in the A-Z Directory.
- You need to agree to the Terms and Conditions before submitting your application form.
Once you have submitted the form, you should receive an email from the site administrators within three working days informing you whether your application has been successful. If successful your site will be created and you will be the administrator of it.
Note: You can have more than one website. You don't need to register as a new user for each website you apply for.
To access your website either:
- Go to the A-Z Directory listing from the site's homepage.
Click your website name and log in using your username and password.
- Use the link in the confirmation email sent to you then enter your username and password.
Already have a website?
If you already have a website and wish to register your site on in the A-Z Directory, follow the application process as above, and select Use Your Existing Website on the form, and enter the full URL of your existing site.
Already have a domain that you wish to use for your community website?
If you already own a domain and wish to use it with your new community website, then please contact the support team who will give you instructions on how to do this.