To enable this application, go to the Content Management tab of the administration pages, then go to the Applications page, and click the Enable button next to Classified Ads.
Once enabled, you can get to the administration pages for the application in one of two ways:
- Click Manage Classifieds on the public pages of the Classified Ads application on your website (you must be logged in as the administrator to see the button).
- From within the administration pages for the website, go to the Content Management tab, and click on Classified Ads in the Site Map.
Adding an Advert
- Click the Add a Classified button, which can be found:
- On the public pages of the Classified Ads application on your website (you must be logged in to see it).
- On the administration pages of the Classified Ads application. Go to the Content Management tab, and click on Classified Ads in the Site Map.
- Fill in the Title, Description, and Type.
- You can add a picture to the advert. If you do this you must also add an alternative text for the image - this is descriptive text to aid the partially sighted and is displayed when you hover the mouse over the image.
- Enter the start and end dates for the advert - it will automatically be archived after the end date has passed.
Editing an Advert
- Go to the advert by clicking on its title or the More Information button on the classified page.
- Click Edit Classified underneath the details of the advert.
- This will take you to the original form where you added the advert. Make any changes and click Edit.
Note: anyone who adds an advert can edit their own advert. Administrators can edit any advert on their site.
Responding to an Advert
Any logged in user can respond to an advert by clicking Respond to this Classified on the advert's details page.
- As the administrator, you can see all the responses by clicking on the classified ad. Normal users can only see their own response.
- When you receive a satisfactory response click the name of the person sending the response. You can then send a confirmation email to the respondent.
- To stop further responses, archive or delete the advert (see below).
Note: Users can only make one response to each classified. However, by clicking the classified and clicking View Details and selecting Edit, users can update and edit their response as many times as they wish.
Archiving and Deleting Adverts
Adverts can be in one of two states:
- Published - visible on the website.
- Archived - not visible on the website, but can be published again if required.
- You can also delete adverts that you no longer want.
To delete or archive an advert:
- Go to the administration pages for the Classified Ads application.
- Check the box in the Select column for the classified ad you would like to archive or delete.
- Choose the action from the drop down menu below the table and click Go.
To view archived adverts, go to the administration pages for the application and click on Archived. You can choose to publish these adverts to make them visible on the website again, or delete them if you want to remove them forever.
Any logged in user can respond to classified ads, and as the administrator you need to manage these responses.
To configure the permissions, go to the administration pages for your website, select the Content Management tab, and then the Applications page. Click the Permissions button next to the application in the list. For further details of how to use Permissions, see the Permissions section of the manual.
- Users with Contribute permission on the application can add an advert, and edit their own adverts. They cannot edit other people's adverts. By default, this includes all members of your website.
- Users with Admin permission on the application can manage all classifieds, including editing and deleting them, and reviewing all responses.