You can organise your files into folders of similar topics. Visitors can download a copy of the files from your website.
Using the permissions system, you can set up private folders that only specified users can access, and even set up folders that allow your members to upload files.
To enable the application, go to the Content Management tab of the administration pages, then go to the Applications page, and click the Enable button next to Our Files. This application has no administration pages; files are added and managed through the public facing pages. When you are logged in as an administrator then you will see a set of action buttons in the application, allowing you to add and edit files and folders.
You can use folders to organise your files by keeping those of a similar subject in the same place. You can create folders within other folders, allowing you to create a structure that makes it easy for your visitors to find what they're looking for.
- Click on Add a Folder
- Enter the name and a short description of the contents of the folder.
- Click OK.
- You are now inside the newly created folder. You can return to the folder above by clicking the Up To... button, or by using the breadcrumb trail.
- Navigate to the folder in which you want to add the file.
- Click on Add a File.
- Click on the Browse button and then select the file on your computer that you want to upload.
- Give the file a title and short description.
- Click OK to start uploading the file.
This may take a long time if the file is large. Try to keep your files as small as possible as this will also make downloading quicker for your visitors.
You can add several files at the same time by first creating on your computer a .zip file containing all the files you want to add to the folder. Click on Add a File and select your .zip file. Tick the box that says 'This is a ZIP file...'. The system will extract all the files in the .zip file and add them all to the current folder.
Moving, Copying, and Deleting
Files and folders can be copied, deleted, or moved to a different folder. This helps you to keep your files organised.
- Select the files and folders you want to modify by ticking the checkbox to the left of their name.
- Click on Move, Copy, or Delete.
- Move - after clicking Move, select the destination folder and they will be moved there from their current location.
- Copy - after clicking Copy, select the destination folder and a copy of the the items will be put there.
- Delete - after clicking Delete, confirm that you're sure you want to do this by clicking OK, or Cancel if you change your mind.
Note: when moving and copying files, the destination folder must not already contain a file with the same name as one that you are putting there.
- To rename a folder, navigate to the folder and click Edit this Folder.
- To rename a file, click Properties next to the file then click Rename File.
You can add a new version of a file by clicking Properties next to the file and clicking Upload Revision.
Visitors can only download the most recent version of a file, though administrators can access the different revisions by clicking the Properties button for the file.
You can configure permissions on each file or folder independently by clicking on the Permissions button while viewing the file or folder. For example, you could configure a folder so it only had read access to members of your site.
By default, items have the same permissions as the item above it. i.e., a file has the same permission as the folder it is in. If you want it to have different permissions you can turn off the inheritance of permission by clicking the Do not inherit permissions button. You can then configure any permissions you like on that item.
- Users with Contribute permission can add files and folders, and can edit and delete the items that they have added. They cannot edit files or folders that other people have added.
- Administrators can add, edit, and delete all files and folders.
In the standard configuration of your website, members have Contribute permission, but normal users and members of the public do not.
For further details of how to use Permissions, see the Permissions section of the manual.
Members of your site who opt in to receiving emails will receive a notification whenever you add a new file.