CLAYTON VICTORIA PARK

         Clayton Victoria Park was opened by Mr Asa Briggs on the 23 July 1898. Since that date it has become a central meeting point for the community of Clayton. This web site is about its history, using information and pictures held by Clayton History Group and other contributor's.

 

ceno

        The Cenotaph

The Cenotaph was installed in the park in 1928. It commemorates those brave men from Clayton who lost their lives in World War 1, World War 2, and more recent conflicts.

                                            QUEEN ELIZABETH ll

                                      Diamond Jubillee Gardens

 

The tree forms the centre piece to the garden which includes sustainable plantings of herbaceous perennial plants, herbs, grasses and flowers, all of which have been chosen to stimulate senses such as smell and touch as well as to provide all year round interest.

 

The Jubilee Garden is a joint venture between the Parish Council and Leisure Services from Bradford Council. The cost of the project is in the region of £30,000 and this has come from funding raised from local developments in the Clayton area with the Parish Council funding the tree and commemorative plaque.

 

The scheme which was subject to an extensive public consultation process is now completed and the Parish Council is receiving many favourable comments about the project.

 

At the planting ceremony, Clayton Parish Council Chairman, Councillor Jean Pitts said "The tree and garden will provide a wonderful and long lasting tribute to this year's Queens Diamond Jubilee. The partnership between the Parish and District Councils to achieve such a tremendous addition to the park is to be applauded, as is the local community input into the consultation process."

  

Jub OPEN

 

Councilor Jean Pitts and guests

  

Jubillee 1

 

 

 JB1

IMAGES FROM THE PAST

             Band stand 

The Old Bandstand.   Removed from the Park in 2008

 

Park 1898

The opening of Victoria Park 1898

Asa Briggs and Alfred wallis in the top picture Ppark Opening

 

 urbns

Bandstand c1955

The Urns were given by Julius Whitehead (Clayton Fireclay Works)

Their whereabouts today is unknown

 plaque

 

Plaque from Bandstand

1936

Victoria Park c1950

 

 Victoria Park 1905

Park1910

 

Victoria Park 1910

 

Park 1915

 

Victoria Park 1915

 park 1915 a

Victoria Park c1915  

This commemorative Gold Key Was

PRESENTED TO

ASA BRIGGS ESQ JP

                                                                        

         key

 

         By his fellow members of the Clayton Urban. District. Council on the occasion of the opening of Clayton Victoria Park, July 23rd 1898                                                                                          

        Asa Briggs was a mill owner together with Alfred Wallis and Joseph Benn, all three were important benefactors to the villagers of Clayton.  

          Asa in particular we need to thank for our Village Hall. Victoria Park, Asa Briggs Park Clayton Heights, Donations to the Baptist Chapel and housing development for his workers, plus donations to local clubs and the awarding of commemorative medals for the Queen Victoria Golden Jubilee and other significant occasions.

A 9ct yellow gold presentation key with enamelled decoration and engraved inscription.

  Made By. Fattorini, Bradford 1898,

 

 Key 1Key2

  

Asa Briggs 1832 - 1912

 Asa Briggs

A well known and respected Claytonian, he was born in the township and played an important part in the life of the village. It was said that he was a generous supporter of every movement that had for its objective the religious, social and general well being of the masses.  He also played a prominent part in the industrial expansion of the village, being a partner in the worsted manufacturing business of Joseph Benn & Co. He was chair of the Local Board and continued as chairman of the District Council following its formation in 1894. A staunch Baptist he was also chair of the school board,a J.P. and played an important part in the development and opening of Victoria Park in 1898. He lived at Greenside House, Clayton Lane and played an important role in the development of the Liberal Club now the Village Hall. Asa Briggs was the owner of a great deal of property and was very wealthy, a great philanthropist he gave generously to the residents of Clayton and Clayton Heights where a park was created and named after him.

 

Victoria Park Today

Park 1

 Jubilee Gardens

Park 2

 

plaque123

Plaque originally located in the Old Bandstand 

 

Victoria Bowling Club Images

victoria bowls 1 

 

Bowls 4

Bowls Team c1935

 

victoria knot garbutt

W Knott  H Garbutt

victoria tankard binns

W Tankard J Briggs c1950

Bowls 1920

bowls 2nd 50

Back Row Names Please

Front ---Name Please      Binns- Brown - Broadbent - Felgate 

bowles 36

Longbottom snr - Jagger - Longbottom jnr - ? Tankard

Names Please

Brooke                                                                             Felgate

Binns - Varley - Lambert - Wilkinson

 

 

Bowls card

 

Bowls Result 1930 

 

MATCH RESULT 1930

bowls 1

Queens Diamond Jubilee 2012

bowls 2

D Lord B Hepplestone F Leeming B Shutt R Wood D Topham K Binks A Reddiough

C McGregor J Heppleston D Hodgson M Kitson N Brogden F Topham M Binks

bowls 3

J Fowler R toothill M Harlow M Longthorpe J Toothill

J Gilroy W Aitchison 1995

bowls 4

D Moore M Fielding R Wood T Harney D Lord D Topham T Mc Carthy A Peel

Longfield House Trophy 2009