Posted by Voice Admin on

I've done some tidying up and improvement of the layout in the Events Calendar:

• The Month view now shows a list of events rather than trying to show them in a big grid.
  • The old List view has gone, replaced by this new Month view.
  • Month is now the default view.
  • Fixed a bug where the Week view sometimes showed too many days.

Have a look and see what you think!

Thanks

Joe - Voice Admin

2: Re: Events Calendar (response to 1)
Posted by Nick_H on

Hi Joe,

Lokks good.

Only suggestion would be that it would be good if two months are visable, so the default view would show (today) Nov & Dec.  Canhelp with people planning and not have to click to move forward a month, especially as you get close to the end of the month.

Thanks

Nick

3: Re: Events Calendar (response to 1)
Posted by sue potter on
Hi Joe
I like the changes - thank you. The alternate shading we see at our end makes it easier to read.
Is there any scope to add related images to liven up the list?
Thanks
regards
Sue
4: Re: Events Calendar (response to 3)
Posted by Voice Admin on

Good idea, I'll put adding a 'headline' image to calendar items in my todo list!

Joe

5: Re: Events Calendar (response to 4)
Posted by sue potter on

Great! Thanks. 

(Hope your list isn't as long as mine!!)

Sue

6: Re: Events Calendar (response to 1)
Posted by AlanS on

Hi

We don't have many events so it would be nice to have an option to display a whole year of events, as the default used to be. At the moment the options are month, week and day - typically month shows one event for us. It would be nice to be able to see a page of upcoming events, as we used to be able to.

Thanks

Alan

7: Re: Events Calendar (response to 1)
Posted by Peni Whelan on

Hi Joe is there anyway we can change the default view to day? We are a community radio station so its important to our listeners whats on today and at what time , rather than a whole month 

Thanks in advance 

Peni Whelan - Hope Radio 

8: Re: Events Calendar (response to 7)
Posted by Voice Admin on

There's no way to configure the default view in the Calendar app (though this is on the todo list).

What you could do though is to add a button to a page which links to the day view of the calendar.

So for your site, the target of the link would be /hoperadio/schedule/view?view=day (you can leave the date out of the link and it'll default to today).

If you wanted to create this as a button rather than a normal link, you can use the bootstrap button class for it.

To do this, create a piece of text like "See today's schedule" and use the wysiwyg link button to create the link to the calendar day view. Then in the Advanced tab for the link, add btn btn-primary into the Classes field. This tells the system to create a button, and set it in the site's primary colour.

Another trick, instead of a button, would be to add a Redirect item to your site using the CMS, set the target url to be the day view, and add it to the navigation menu. (then remove the calendar itself from the navigation menu)

Thanks

Joe

13: Re: Events Calendar (response to 8)
Posted by DWMH-HALL on

Is there a way to allow a user to link to a specfic day on the event calendar?   Reason is we use the events calendar to show the bookings for our hall, the new month in a list view means a long list of events are displayed.  It would be nice to have a way  a prospective hirer can look at the date they are interested to see if it is free. Thanks Pamela Brooks   DWMH

9: Re: Events Calendar (response to 1)
Posted by Trevor B-S on

Hi Joe,

Can I add to the request that it would be nice to have an option to display a whole year of events, as the default used to be. Our entries are typically up to six months in advance so seeing them as one list is helpful.

Many Thanks

10: Re: Events Calendar (response to 9)
Posted by sue potter on

Hi

We'd like this too with the display showing today onwards - not from day 1 of a month which will show events that have already happened. 

Maybe I can change this myself? Not sure.

Thanks,

Sue

11: Re: Events Calendar (response to 9)
Posted by Voice Admin on

One option is that you could try adding the Community Calendar includelet to your homepage (or any other page!), and configure how many upcoming events you want to highlight.

I'll look into adding more configuration options to the Calendar app, to give greater customisation of what's displayed.

Thanks

Joe

12: Re: Events Calendar (response to 11)
Posted by sue potter on

Thanks Joe

I have just played around with this - it looks a better presentation for us so thank you! I need to investigate more but on first sight looks really promising

14: Re: Events Calendar (response to 1)
Posted by Tatsfield Webmaster on

Hi Joe,

You've had quite a few suggestions from people regarding the new layout of the Events Calendar. I run a village website & add any upcoming village activities using the Calendar. I have had one or two complaints asking what happened to the display of the rolling month that used to be the format of the old Calendar. For our website, I do agree with the complainants, so maybe you could add this request as an option your To Do list.

Thank you

Trevor 

15: Re: Events Calendar (response to 1)
Posted by Voice Admin on

I've updated the calendar view again, to reintroduce the 'list' mode, but better!

The list page now shows a configurable number of upcoming events, from the date selected. Defaults to 20 events.

(The list view is essentially the same as the month view, but isn't restricted to a single month.)

You can now also set the default view (list, month, week, day) in the calendar settings.

You can access the settings either by going to the calendar and finding the "Manage calendar" button, or going to the CMS and clicking on the calendar in the content tree.

Thanks!

Joe - Voice Admin

16: Re: Events Calendar (response to 15)
Posted by Trevor B-S on

Joe,

Many thanks for adding the "List" view.  I'm sure our users will really appreciate what can be achieved with the extra flexibility.

Trevor