Posted by Deleted User on
I am an administrator for North Lincolnshire, I just have a few queries regarding your email about the themes. 

When will the phasing out take place? 
Will our community sites be effected by this (e.g. What will happen to a site using a certain theme if that theme is removed) .
Could I also please have a list of all theme's you are removing.
2: Re: New themes (response to 1)
Posted by Voice Admin on

No themes will be removed until the two new responsive themes are well established and "loved" by sites. There is no fixed timescale for this, and when we do it we will give people a warning of specific dates.

I think when we come to remove them then we won't force any sites to change theme if they really don't want to. The old themes will no longer be available for sites to select, but if a site is already using one then they will be able to continue doing so. We recommend that sites using these old themes should change, but currently we don't intend to enforce it.

Ultimately we intend that we will remove access to all themes apart from the two new responsive ones (the first one of which is currently available), as well as DarkTones and Playtime.

Thanks

Joe - Voice Admin

3: Re: New themes (response to 2)

Thanks for your reply Joe. 

Nick

4: Re: New themes (response to 2)
Posted by josi51 on

We currently use the Dark Tones theme and love the look of the site and are therefore disappointed that this is likely to go in the future.

If we ultimately have to move to a new theme is it possible to either let us make the changes without it going immediately live or to have a 'test' area to create the look before publishing on our live site?  I did try out the new live theme (which sadly I didn't like) and it nearly gave me heart failure when it immediately went live, with an added moment of panic as to whether I could get the original back!  Basically I don't want our users to be constantly seeing changed screens until I get it right.

Thanks

Jo

5: Re: New themes (response to 4)
Posted by Voice Admin on

To clarify - we intend to keep DarkTones and Playtime, as well as the two new configurable responsive themes. It is the older ones which will go.

The ones that we intend to decommission are:

• Blue menu with red tab
  • Brown menu with grey spotted tab
  • Purple menu and Teal background
  • Brick red menu and blue stripey header
  • White menu with blue stripey header
  • White menu with pink stripey header
  • Blue menu with green wavey header
  • Blue menu with blue wavey header
  • Tan and pink menu with grey stripes
  • Pink block menu with top khaki stripe
  • White menu with blue outlines
  • White menu with green dotted lines
  • White menu with blue dotted lines

Regarding your question about an area for testing - once both new themes are live we will provide, on request, access to our test system so you can try out new themes before you put them live on your site.

Thanks

Joe - Voice Admin

6: Re: New themes (response to 5)

Instead of having to remeber where this ist is, could you not (for now) asterix the themes to be retired, on the page where they are selected.

Eventually returning to that page, leaving the names and pictures, removing the option to select them?

7: Re: New themes (response to 2)
Posted by Birmingham Society of Model Engineers Ltd on

Hi Joe

We are  currently using the brown/spotted grey theme on our website, Birmingham SME, and it appears that this is one that will go following your revision.

Can you give any examples of websites that have already changed their theme to one on the new styles, so that we can see what they look like, before committing ourselves to a new look.

As previously stated by other members, it would be helpful to have the facility to view the new styles, before publishing.

Am I correct in thinking that there will be a total of 4 themes available, each with the     option  of various colours?

Many thanks.

8: Re: New themes (response to 7)
Posted by Voice Admin on

The second of the two new themes isn't released yet, though when it is and some sites are using them both then yes I will be happy to point you to some good examples.

We won't be rushing to remove the old themes - it's more of a long term intention than something we're intending to do quickly. The main reason is so we can focus our time on improving the new themes rather than supporting the old ones.

You are right that the intention is that after removing the old themes that there will be four available - the two new responsive ones, plus DarkTones and Playtime. These feature multiple colour and layout options so hopefully everyone will be happy :-)

I will make a test area available to you once both new themes are ready.

Thanks

Joe - Voice Admin

9: Re: New themes (response to 8)
Posted by SVH_Webmin on

Hi Joe,

We are using your system as part of Central Bedfordshire/Beds Parishes and this seems to be fixed in time in relation to any improvements.

Is it possible to use the new themes and upload them to our individual site (our Parish Council site) ?

Many thanks,

James

10: Re: New themes (response to 9)
Posted by Voice Admin on

Yeah, that's the last system to be upgraded - though it is happening in the next week or two, then you'll be able to use the new themes!

Thanks

Joe