I've just put live some improvements to the Surveys app, to make it more generally useful for surveying users and for other uses such as membership forms.
- If you rename the app from Surveys to something more useful for your site (maybe "Application forms" or "Entry forms" might be more appropriate for you), the new name appears on all the public pages instead of Surveys.
- Uses less survey-specific language. e.g., Respond now rather than Answer survey - so that it makes sense if you're using a survey as an application form or similar.
- Redesigned the public index page for Surveys, to show the description of each Survey and clear buttons to Respond or view past response.
- These display changes are also in the Surveys includelet, with the option to show description if you want to.
- There's now a unique "landing page" for each individual survey, which will work even if the survey is disabled, or if the user doesn't have permission to complete it. It'll show a meaningful message if the user can't complete the survey (e.g., if they need to log in first). This means you can now safely share this URL direct to the survey without worrying that some users will get an error. This URL can be found in the list of surveys on the admin page. It's also the URL that's now used if you send out an email from the survey app to your members.
- Questions no longer have numbers (previously they did in some places but not in others, and sometimes these numbers were wrong!)
- Fixed the layout of the notification email to admins when a survey is completed.
- Fixed some problems around creating branching sections.
- Used nicer icons in the surveys list in the admin pages.
- I'll update the documentation page about the surveys app soon!
I still have some other improvements on the list for the Surveys app, but these changes should make the tool more useful in the meantime!
Awesome - looks good Jo - well done :) Loving the new link icons in the admin page and the layout changes.
I notice as well that the link to the survey from the notification email sent to users takes you back to the submission form which is really nice. Thanks!
I have recieved my usual weekly email telling me about Survey reponses but strangely 2 of the responses listed in the email do not appear as responses in the survey itself which seems very strange. Any idea why this has happened?
I have spent a bit of time looking into this and noticed that the email shows 3 replies at exactly the same time (2023-03-03 08:56:01) and only 1 of these is showing in the Survey.
It seems incredible that these 3 responses were at the same time down to the second but it does seem that this is the problem as 2 of them are missing.
I can see from the server log that there was only one survey response at that time - so the weirdness is that it is showing multiple times in the email. (Which is preferable to a weirdless of there being missing responses!)
Could you forward the email to email@example.com and I'll see if I can get any more clues about what's going on!
I use the survey as an application form on my Oil ordering site, which works fine, but wondered if it was possible to edit the response message once the form is completed, so that the users know it is from me and have their order.
Currently there's no way to create an email that is automatically sent to people who fill in a survey. However it's something that's on my list to add, and I'm keen to add it because it'd be useful for users registering for the Voice User Group Zoom meetings, as then the system could automatically send the Zoom link out to everyone who registers!
So it's likely I'll add this soon. I'll announce on here as and when.