Posted by Joe Oldak on

Some nice new updates gone live today, mostly for sites that use photo albums.

Photo Albums

• Larger pictures - images are now scaled to a larger size, both for the thumbnails in the album listings as well as when viewing a photo. (new photos will take the new size straight away, existing photos are being resized automatically over the next day or two)
  • When viewing photos the image is shown no larger than the browser window height, to avoid annoying scrolling with a big portrait image.
  • You can now use the left and right keys on the keyboard to go to the previous and next photo in the album.
  • When going previous/next the scroll position is maintained so that you can look at photos without having to continually scroll up and down the page.
  • Minor improvements to the grid layout - more pictures per page and rows should stay in alignment with different image aspect ratios.
  • Folder (and empty album) icons updated.

Photo Album Includelet

This is new and exciting! Based on the Related Image Gallery includelet, you can now add all the photos in a Photo Album directly to a page. It has the following options:

• Select the album for the photos.
  • How many columns in the grid.
  • Whether to show a caption on each photo.
  • Size of the image when clicked.

When viewing the gallery, when you click an image it opens in a modal. There are previous/next buttons in the window, and you can also use the keyboard right/left buttons.

You can add the includelet in a side column or main content, and you can even have multiple on the same page if you  want to!

See an example of the Photo Album includelet here.

Related Image Gallery Includelet

Improved in line with the new Photo Album includelet: options to show caption and change popup size, next/previous buttons in the popup, left/right keyboard navigation, and grid layout is a bit better.

(Photo Album and Related Image Gallery includelets are identical but take their pictures from a different source - either a specified Photo Album, or all Images related to the current page)

Enjoy!

Joe

2: Re: New Photo Features (response to 1)
Posted by Stephen_DSmith on

Hi Joe,

The updated related image gallery is a good improvement.

The new photo album includelet will be very useful, although I did find that it can't see albums that are stored within other folders.

Having said that it seems if you create (or move) the album in the root folder then setup the link in the includelet you can move the album to a sub folder afterwards...

I assume this is an acceptable work arround as I guess its a relational link within the database? So the url to the album is not dependent on folder location?

Thanks

Stephen.

3: Re: New Photo Features (response to 2)
Posted by Joe Oldak on

This was just a bug - you can now select an album from anywhere in your Photo Albums app, not just the top level!

And yes - it links to the album using its unique id, so you can move the albums around no problem and it won't affect the includelet.

Though if you delete the album then it'll stop working of course! (the includelet will display nothing in this case)

Thanks for reporting it

Joe

4: Re: New Photo Features (response to 3)
Posted by Stephen_DSmith on

Hi Joe,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to relate a photo album to a page? It would be handy to be able to drop the photo Album includelet onto a parent page and define the album as "related" to template pages or news items.

Thanks,

Stephen.

5: Re: New Photo Features (response to 4)
Posted by Joe Oldak on

It's an interesting suggestion - though at the moment I think it'd be too much work for too little gain. The related items system doesn't understand anything outside the CMS (i.e., it only understands content pages and assets) and extending this to understand more different things wouldn't be easy.

Thanks for the suggestion though! :-)

Joe

6: Re: New Photo Features (response to 4)
Posted by Kath2 on

I managed to insert a link to the page with the relevant album. Viewers click on the link and the album opens.

(Not sure if this is what you meant?)

7: Re: New Photo Features (response to 1)
Posted by Kath2 on

Is it possible to change the order of the albums? I can't work out how the order is determined? When you open the Photos tab, I would like certain albums to be listed first (so viwers can find the album with photos of our hall first for example)

Is it possible to change the order of the photos in an album. The most recent additions are at the end of the album, but it would be helpful to have the photo order with the most recently added first.

8: Re: New Photo Features (response to 7)
Posted by Joe Oldak on

Currently there's no way to choose the order of albums - they are always sorted alphabetically. So you need to carefully choose names, or number your albums, to have them appear in a specific order.

You can update the order of photos within an album. It's a bit clunky, but the method is to go into the album, click the Edit All Photos (including hidden) button, then set the sequence numbers so that the photos are numbered in the order that you want them. The numbers you use aren't important - so you could use 10, 20, 23, 25, 30 or whatever, as long as the one you want first has the lowest number.

Thanks

Joe