Posted by Voice Admin on

Firstly, yes it would probably make more sense if items were listed with the newest items at the top. Perhaps I should look into redesigning this list of items to be a bit more attractive too - it could include the publish date, and perhaps even a thumbnail image for each item...

However, in the short term, you could experiment with the Filtered Item list includelet to generate the list instead of using the automatic list. So turn off "Display sub-menu items within Folder" for the news folder, and add a Filtered Item List includelet instead. You can configure the list to show things in reverse date order, only show recent items, and all sorts.

There's no automatic archive feature like the weblog/noticeboard has. However you could experiment with a "News Archive" page that also had a filtered item list but only showed items older than (say) 6 months, while the main News filtered item list shows things newer than 6 months. That would save having to actually move the news articles - just list them in different places.

You can move items between folders by going in the Site Map to the item you want to move, clicking the Cut button, then heading to the folder you want to move it to and clicking Past". Unfortunately you have to do this one at a time, you can't cut and paste lots of pages at once.

If it would be helpful I could add a "reverse" order to the "Fixed Order" option in the Filtered Item List. (Fixed Order simply means the order in which you have put them in the site map, but you may want the fixed order but backwards??)

Anyway, try a few things and see how it goes. And if it's not quite right we can try something else!

Thanks

Joe - Voice Admin

Posted by Deltaman on

Many thanks  for your prompt reply, Joe. I shall now and try to delve into the world of "includets". I have seen them mentioned but have yet to master them. Hopefully the "Help" will show me the way. 

I have now grasped the method for moving items across the folders and pages. Thanks.

Now I wonder if it is possible to apply a discussion or comment element to each article within, say, the News Folder. As I understand, eVoice has a Discussion Folder but it's independent of all others. Ideally,  I would like our members to be able to add their comments to the bottom of any article as required.

I have attempted to upload a short video but it failed to open. It was saved in Win Media format and that would open on my desktop. After sucessfully uploading to the Assets Library I found that it would not play in the selected folder/page. I tried all formats with the same result. All I could see was a dark blue screen that was "Ready" but never ran. If you have any ideas on the problem I'd very much apreciate them.

Thanks again, Terry.

Posted by Voice Admin on

Referring back to your earlier question - you could also set up the "latest news" includelet set to show newest items first, and put that on your main news page. Try out a couple of things and see what works!

I'm currently doing some work on themes and includelets which should improve the look of these things. So if you have any thoughts/comments on how things could/should look then now is a good time to make them known! :-)

Regarding comments on pages - yes in theory this is possible, though it isn't currently enabled for sites. If you don't mind being a bit of a gunea pig then I'm happy to turn on the commenting functionality for your site! This will initially allow users to comment on any content page of your site, but could be extended to allow commenting on other things too (photos, albums, etc).

Do you have a URL on which your video is located that I could have a look at? At the moment we don't embed any sort of clever video player, so if you want something "fancy" I suggest you upload your video to YouTube, then grab the "embed" code from the youtube video and add that to your page using the Embed Code button in the WYSIWYG editor. This is how the video on this page is added.

Thanks

Joe - Voice Admin

Posted by Deltaman on

Many thanks again, Joe or muchas gracias de nuevo, as they say in Spain.

I have to confess I am not up to speed with the "includelets" as I can't see where and how to create and insert them. Is there a detailed instruction sheet available that I have missed?

As far as the video is concerned, I was using a copy folder from my Desk Top but now, following your advice, have successfully uploaded it direct from U Tube. Is there a limit to the content size? Not that I intend uploading the latest Bond film, of course.

Thanks for the Comments (Reply) Add-ons - they are working very well. Now, my members have no excuse for avoiding their postings!

I have created a new News folder approriately named "Newsweek".

All the items will now be logged under a week ending heading with the latest article inserted at the top of the single page for the week. That appears to work just fine.

Clearly, you take your job very seriously and I am very grateful for that. I suspect many other communities within e-Voice, feel the same.

Best regards Terry.

Posted by Voice Admin on

Hi again,

There is some information on includelets in our documentation pages here.

I admit that the documentation isn't always great or totally up to date so if it doesn't help then please continue to ask questions! :-)

Essentially, if you go to the Layout tab of a page in the CMS, then you can add bits of content into the page - these bits of content are called Includelets.

It's Includelets that currently provide the "upcoming events" and "latest news" entries on the front page of sites. You can pick them up and move them around, or reconfigure them so that they show different bits of content.

If it's lists of content from on your site that you want (e.g., links to latest news articles etc) then the includelets to look at would be "Latest News", and "Filtered Item List". The latter is most powerful and has loads of options. The former is relatively simple and shows links to recently postedd news articles.

Regarding videos - I beleve YouTube limits to 15 minutes per film, which is enough for most needs!

Thanks

Joe - Voice Admin

Posted by Deltaman on

Many thanks, Joe.

T