On the live system of the KEHS (Kimble and Ellesborough Horticultural Society) website for some reason the Body Text is now showing HTML and not the usual formatting buttons and display of text and images. On the test site, it is showing the usual WYSIWYG display so I can format text etc. I am also having some problems with changes an includelet. I couldn't see a toggle to switch from the normal display to HTML or something I might have inadvertently clicked on. I logged into the live site on another PC and had the usual WYSIWYG display and was able to make a minor change. When I tried this on the live system on my PC earlier I had a message about a server error. Not sure what is going on. I originally thought I must have toggled something on the live site but am now wondering whether this could be something to do with a Windows update. Please can you advise how to resolve this.
Posted by Peter D. on

I’ve had something very similar happening on our website (Woking & District Men’s Shed), however it is only on Chrome following an update from Google a few days ago. Everything is still working as expected on Microsoft Edge.
I don’t suppose there’s a way to roll back Google to an earlier version?

Posted by Joe Oldak on

Someone else reported this over email the other day too - strange that it would start happening for a few people at the same time. I think there's something going occasionally odd with loading larger assets from the server (such as the javascript for the editor, and occasionally some images too).

If it happens again then doing a reload in the browser should fix it. Or logging out and in again might help. I don't think there's any permanent problem here, just an occasional glitch preventing it loading fully.

As it happens I have been researching a replacement wysiwyg editor - something a bit more modern and up to date! Don't hold your breath, but hopefully in the not-too-incredibly-distant future we might have something better for you to use!




Posted by Peter D. on

Just as an update to the above, I followed some advice I read elsewhere that following a browser update, it sometimes wasn't enough to simply log out and log back in again to chrome. The advice was to go into the Chrome Settings menu and select the Reset Settings option, which would return settings to their default values.

I've tried this, as I had nothing else to lose and, much to my relief, everything is now working perfectly again. No more html showing when editing text content.

Posted by SVH_Webmin on

I suggest clearing the local cache for the browser.

Chrome is dreadful at holding on to out of date stuff.

Ctrl+F5 will load a fresh page.

Ctrl + Shift + Delete to call the Clear browsing data interface.

Select the cache files you want to delete.

Many thanks.

A simple refresh did the trick.

I was using Edge.  The strange thing was that the test system looked fine.

Must be something to do with a Windows upgrade - all looked as usual on another PC but the upgrade hadn't been done.

Posted by SVH_Webmin on

Nope, it's browsers and the internet.

There is a thing called Edge Caching and combined with the browser cache, work well for many sites BUT low volume sites (number of visitors) suffer as the interaction between the two can be a bit "slow" and pages can get "out of date".

Forcing an cache update fixes this, till it happens again....