Posted by Alan-Parry (Euphonix Admin). on

Would it be possible to insert a "Back" or "Return to previous page" button on application pages (or have the facility to insert it)? 

2: Re: Applications (response to 1)
Posted by Joe Oldak on

There's the 'breadcrumb trail' which works in all applications, as long as you haven't turned it off for your site.

E.g., if you go into a photo album or discussion forum, you can use the breadcrumb trail to go back to the level above.

You'll see it in this discussion forum, above.

Perhaps I misunderstood the question, or maybe it isn't working on your site? Can you be more specific?

Thanks!

Joe

3: Re: Applications (response to 2)

Hi Joe,

I’m looking at the Gallery application.  Can’t see any reference to Breadcrumbs.  How will I know/find out if it has been disabled?  If I go into manage the application there doesn’t seem to be anything that I can enable (or disable) - perhaps I’m looking at the wrong area of the system.

Cheers

Alan

4: Re: Applications (response to 3)

Hi Joe,

Just appreciated what you meant.  The breadcrumb is in the horizontal menu, to take you back the previous level.  However, in order to link videos and photos in a single area I have created a CMS page that (a) includes YouTube embedded video, and (b) a direct link to a gallery application.  People can use the back browser to return to the CMS page, but the breadcrumb just leads to the next level up in the Gallery, not the page that they arrived there from.

For easy of reference the link is created in this page: https://www.euphonix.org.uk/committee/the-exchange/euphonix-videos/2022-videos/

A back button would take them back to the previous page they visited, and would be more obvious than using the back button on the browser.

Hope that this makes sense.

Cheers

Alan

5: Re: Applications (response to 4)
Posted by Joe Oldak on

Ahhah OK I see - though the problem with a 'back' button as a website button is that it's obviously going to be different depending on how you got to the page, and especially weird if you arrive there from a search engine or external site.

I think the only good long-term answer here is that I should add the ability to add embedded YouTube videos either to the assets library (so you can use the Related Image Gallery includelet to make a gallery) or to the Photo Album app.

(i.e., insead of adding a video file, you simply add the YouTube video id/url, and then this gets embedded on the site rather than a photo)

You can currently mix video and photo only if you upload the videos into the assets library then use the Related Image Gallery includelet, as outlined here.

I have a browser plugin for Firefox called SaveFrom.net helper that lets me easily download a video file as MP4 from your embedded YouTube videos, and even the longer ones are only about 25MB in 720p quality.

So, while it would be a bit of faff, you could download each video as an MP4 file, upload them to the Assets Library (then add the photos too!) then create some nice gallery pages using the CMS.

I appreciate this is a bit tedious, especially as you can't bulk upload photos to the assets library, but I think you'll end up with a really nice gallery page this way! Neater than having to embed each video on a separate page to the photos.

Cheers

Joe