Posted by Stephen_DSmith on

Hi Joe,

Not sure how much control there is over this but I have been playing with the social sharing of events on Facebook and in Mailchimp. Mailchimp's new beta builder now lets you use the link to a page or event it then pulls the text preview with related image into the mail which is really useful timesaver and makes the mail look more interesting.

Unfortunately for the events, it does not pass the date and time of the event to the preview generated - is it possible to add this just for the events or would it affect sharing of other pages or news items?

Regards,

Stephen.

Posted by Joe Oldak on

It does seem that there's a not-very-well-documented bit of the Open Graph protocol that allows events to be shared including a start and end time.

(these are some extra tags that Voice adds into the page so that Facebook/Twitter/etc know what image/description to use when sharing a link)

I'll experiment with this and get back to you!

Cheers

Joe

Posted by JoMaye on

Sorry because this is a bit of a sidetrack, but can you tell me roughly how you are pulling that info in automatically in Mailchimp please? It sounds like a huge timesaver!

Posted by Stephen_DSmith on

Hi Yes,

In the MailChimp settings turn on the New Builder (beta), rather than the classic builder.

When you create an email (you may need a clean new template) you can add an "app" and then select the "link preview" by MailChimp. When you put the link of the page, news item, or event it pulls the image with the title and description into the email.

It's not perfect, it also puts the domain of your site above the title, which could look better, also as reported it does not include the date / time of calendar events but I think I can live with that as it is a timesaver...

Posted by JoMaye on

Thank you for taking the time to explain. Off to have a little play around now!