Posted by Deleted User on

Hi,

I'm sorry to have to ask but it's late, my brain is fried and I have had it with tutorials!

I have my own domain name that I would like to use with my e-voice site. The issue I'm having is that in managing the DNS settings with the company I bought the domain from, they are asking for the new host's name servers and will not accept IP addresses. When managing the external domain at this end, I can only find the IP address.

Could you confirm for me, please, what the name servers that I should be using are? I had presumed it might be e-voice.org.uk, but the plural is there because it asks for at least two.

The company I used is namecheap.com, and I've posted a screenshot if it helps: http://imgur.com/5rSf5gf

I hope this makes some sense... =/

Thanks =]

2: Re: Name Servers? (response to 1)
Posted by Voice Admin on

You should leave your nameservers pointing at the Namecheap DNS servers. It's not the nameservers that need to change to use your domain with an e-voice site, it's just the DNS settings.

In a nutshell, the nameservers setting points your domain name at DNS servers. Then you use the DNS configuration to control what IP addresses your domain (and subdomains) point to.

e-voice does not provide DNS servers, so you should use the ones provided by Namecheap (or another third party service if need be).

So somewhere in the Namecheap control panel hopefully there is some DNS Configuration you can change. What you need to do is to set up an A record for www.buckfastleighguides.org.uk (and optionally buckfastleighguides.org.uk - i.e., without the www subdomain) to point to the IP address 46.20.114.134.

I see you've already added the domain to your site's control panel. So once you've set the DNS (and waited a while) then Bob should be your uncle!

Thanks

Joe - Voice Admin

3: Re: Name Servers? (response to 2)
Posted by Deleted User on

At this stage it seems that Bob is only a distant cousin, I'm afraid!

Thank you for the help; the settings I needed to find on the namecheap site were name something seemingly irrelevant, but I found them in the end!

I manage two websites with you, buckfastleighguides.org.uk and kingskerswellguides.org.uk I've completed all the steps for both and both domain names lead to the correct place when typed straight into the address bar. The only thing is, however, that while the e-voice 'site domain' settings for kingskerswellguides register the status as 'OK', for buckfastleighguides it alternates between 'wrong IP address' and 'OK, using remote IP'. Since the address itself leads where it should, I wasn't sure if this was a problem or not.

Thanks again =]

4: Re: Name Servers? (response to 3)
Posted by Voice Admin on

I think the settings are all correct - it's probably just a delay in the DNS changes getting round the whole Internet. It can sometimes take quite a long time for the changes to propagate everywhere.

So I expect Bob really will be your uncle in a few hours... :-)

Cheers

Joe - Voice Admin