Posted by JamesM on

Google is telling me that it has a page not found. The page on our website does not exist anymore and there are no links in our website to that old page. The other pages which used to link to the page quoted by google now link to a download (of the archive of the old page) Any ideas?

To try and resolve I looked at the report for broken links (Voice) and it comes up with a broken link from our Calendar page, but there is no link to the page that canot be found. Any Ideas on this one?

Posted by Joe Oldak on

Hi James,

I don't really know what Google is doing here. If a page no longer exists then it should remove this from its index after a while. To make the process smoother you could consider publishing a redirect page at this location which sends visitors to some other useful information? Otherwise just wait until Google reindexes.

Regarding the broken link. That link does actually exist on that page, but the link text is just a space so you can't see it in the wysiwyg editor! It's just under the Other Events title.

To remove it you could use the View Source option, scroll to the bottom and remove it. Or if you turn on Show Invisible Characters you'll see the blank lines under Other Events that you can then delete. When you publish the change the link will disappear from your Broken Links report.

Thanks

Joe