Posted by Kathryn Mitchell on

Hello,

I am aware that our website's current Google Analytics property is due to stop processing data very soon.

Please could you advise on whether it is fine to choose the setting 'Automatically set up a basic Google Analytics 4 property' and take no action, or do I need to manually set up the GA4 property?

I did previously begin the setup for a GA4 property, but need support on how to go about it if it is something I need to do manually.

Thanks.

Kathryn

2: Re: GA4 Migration (response to 1)
Posted by Joe Oldak on

Hi Kathryn,

Sorry for the slow rely - I was on holiday and didn't get chance to look into the GA4 migration stuff properly.

The way you migrate from Universal Analytics to Google Analytics 4 will depend on your specific setup (e.g., if you're just using it for basic stats or if you have more advanced features set up).

Generally speaking, yes you can use the "Automatically set up a basic Google Analytics 4 property" feature. If this was on then you should find that you already have a GA4 properly created for you in the Analytics pages.

You can optionally import other settings from Universal Analytics - such as Conversions and Audiences etc into this GA4 property - though ignore this if you don't have anything like this.

You will find though that it won't start recording data using the new GA4 properly unless you change the analytics embed code that you use on your website.

Currently on Community Links Bromley you have the old analytics.js code in the Raw Header HTML field of the theme options.

I suggest that you remove this, and instead add the embed code from your new GA4 property. I would put this into Raw Footer HTML (instead of Header) so that it is only run after the page is loaded, to ensure fast page loads.

Hopefully this helps!

Note that because you're in London, if you get stuck you can contact Superhighways, and they can likely talk you through it on a Zoom call or similar.

Thanks

Joe

3: Re: GA4 Migration (response to 2)
Posted by Kathryn Mitchell on

Hi Joe,

Apologies for such a long delay in responding. I had assumed that an automatic migration to GA4 would take place and I didn't need to take action until I logged on to Google Analytics to see that the property was no longer collecting data, which prompted me to take action.

I've followed your advice and data collection is now active on the Community Links Bromley GA4 property. Thanks for your help.

I've been in touch with Superhighways and will let them know that I have resolved the issue following your advice.

Thanks

Kathryn