Posted by Kitlin on

I unfortunately managed to delete the 'main' News feature but have since managed to recreate News as a folder, I think. I've added two items of news but they're just coming up as headings which have to be clicked on to read the item. How do I get the items to appear without having to click on the headings?

I also put a Latest News includelet into the left column via the Layout tab (and also moved the contact details into the right hand column) but nothing's changed on the homepage. How do I move content around between the different columns?

Any help/advice much appreciated!

Posted by Joe Oldak on

There are a couple of options for creating a News section.

One is to enable the Noticeboard (or Weblog) app, which you can rename it to News if you want to.

This is really easy to get going with, and also allows other members of your site to contribute, should you wish them to. It will generate an email Notification to users when content is published. A few sites do things this way.

The other option is to create a Page in the CMS, called News/Noticeboard/Updates/Whatever. Then inside that create more Pages, which themselves are News stories.

The News page can contain a Filtered Item List to create a index of all the stories. This is how the Noticeboard section of the main Voice site is done. In this case the Filtered Item List is configured to show a grid of items, in "Title and Subtitle" mode, and also show the Related Image for each item. See this thread for instructions and another example of how you can set this up.

The advantage of this is that it's more flexible in how you want to configure it, but it is harder to get started with than just enabling the Noticeboard app!

Hope this helps

Joe

Posted by Kitlin on

Thank you Joe, I've created a page and add pages as needed. I've also downloaded the pdf from the thread if needed in the future.

Posted by Joe Oldak on

In answer to the second question,

The Latest News includelet is similar to the Filtered Item List, but is "hard wired" to only show a list of pages of type News. There's no particular advantage to using this includelet, other than the convenience of not having to configure the Filtered Item List.

It won't show anything at all if you don't have any News pages elsewhere on your site, which may be what's causing confusion.

Generally speaking, you can put any includelet in any column and it'll appear as appropriate! An easy test is to use the Custom includelet which just lets you add any content that you like, and place it in different columns to see what happens.

As with all CMS pages, you can Preview the changes before you put them live.

Thanks

Joe

Posted by Kitlin on

Thanks again Joe, I'll try the Custom includelet when we start to have a photo of the month, probably in February.