Hi Jo - Just convinced our users here that the need to use the private area of the website. I thought I'd give it a try just to check how it works but I encounter a couple of issues.
These are the steps I take:
1) I go to the Members Zone area of our site
2) I send an email to invite new members (just me) using this link:
3) I receive an email to register but I get a warning that the email already exists. Whilst I did register that email address in the past, it doesn't currently exist because I already deleted that user.
4) Anyway, I continue and Instead I register with a different email address. This time I'm successful at registering. However, when I access the members zone, I get a "Permission Denied" error. When I check the members zone page, and the public site pages, I find that the user isn't registered anwhere on the site.
These are the issues I've spotted during the process:
- Deleting users doesn't seem remove them from the site completely as re-registering doesn't seem to work
- Registering with a different address to the invitation address seems not to create a user on the site
- I can't find a way to create a link to the Members Zone from the main site page navigation menu. It's confusing because it's not clear in the default invitation email that there is a seperate web address for the members zone compared to the public area.
- Invitations arrive in spam folders (might be harder to solve!)
Not sure if I understand right, but it looks like the members zone is completely seperate from the public site? Does this mean members have to register twice - once for each "zone"? If someone registers to the members zone, will they be able to subscribe/unsubscribe to notifications on the newsfeed (noticeboard) on the public site? If that's right, then I can see this really confusing people. I'd like to be able to grant or restrict access on part of the site for any user that has registered, regardless of which part of the site they registered too. Or have I completely misunderstood how this works?