Posted by GrahamShort on

I've been experimenting with links to audio files that are uploaded with OurFiles as opposed to asset audio files and there is a difference in behaviour which I would like to avoid if possible.

On my page https://e-voice.org.uk/bedfordmodernsingers/practice-2018/ all the links are links to audio asset files with the exception of "All Bells in Paradise". If you select to play any other file, say "Adiemus", "Soprano 1" you get a new blank tab which I've specified in the link properties. If you pick "All Bells in Paradise" "Soprano 1" which is linked to an OurFiles upload, then you get the default player for mp3 files (media player in my example). I presume this is because the file has an mp3 extension ? Is there a way around this to get what I've specified in the link properties ?

Thanks

Graham

Posted by Joe Oldak on

The reason this was happening is that when adding mp3 files to the Our Files app, the database was storing the mime type as audio/x-mpeg, instead of the more standard audio/mpeg. (When uploading to the Assets Library it was correctly using audio/mpeg)

If this means nothing to you, don't worry! Suffice it to say that I've now fixed it, and updated all existing mp3 files in Our Files apps to have the correct type.

This means that the browser will now play mp3 files (rather than downloading them) if you click on them in Our Files, or link to them from a content page.

Thanks

Joe

Posted by GrahamShort on

Yes, re-upload to OurFiles fixed the problem.

Thanks for that.

Graham

Posted by GrahamShort on

I'm really liking the ability to organise my audio files via OurFiles. 

One thing I've noticed is that there doesn't appear to be any way to view or edit the description field associated with folders and files. Am I missing this or is it not there ?

Thanks 

Graham

Posted by Joe Oldak on

This is a good point, because descriptions of files/folders seem to be useless. As far as I can see they aren't displayed anywhere. So, as a simple improvement, I should either:

a) Use the Description somewhere (and thus make it editable)

b) Remove the Description completely.

There doesn't seem to be a particularly sensible place to put the description for an individual file, but descriptions for folders could be put above the file listing easily. So this leads to the option:

c) Add folder Description above file listing when viewing the folder, and make it editable. Remove Description for files.

What do people think of this option? Makes good sense do you think?

Thanks

Joe - Voice Admin

Posted by GrahamShort on

I would say folder description is more useful than file description. I would use folder description to provide meta data describing the files. Given we're using folders of audio files I would put composer or for recording dates in the description to distinguish one similarly named folder from another.

While your looking to enhance OurFiles, can I make another couple of requests:

1. I have had to use an asset for one of my audio files, when I would have preferred to load it into OurFiles because it is greater than 20M limit. I presume there is a larger limit on uploading asset files. Could these be made the same ?
  2. Files and folders don't show up in the search site request. This would be useful to find specific folders, particularly as I'm not really wanting to put OurFiles in the navigation

Thanks 

Graham