Posted by Kev Cannings on

Hi Joe,

I'm working with surveys at the moment, and have two improvement suggestions:

Two things that may be useful:

The surveys app does allows users to update their submitted responses, but when a user clicks the link to their survey from the email confirmation, they are directed to this message: 

Problem with your input

We had a problem with your input:

You have already completed this survey

Please back up using your browser, correct the above error, and resubmit your entry.

Thank you.

There wasn't really a problem with thier input, and the browser "Back" doesn't work as it's the entry point to the site. From this message they need two clicks to get them to their submitted survey:

Click 1: Click the "Surveys" link

Click 2: Click "edit" or "view"

which isn't imediately obvious. It would be nice if the link in the email took them directly to the submitted survey in "View" mode 

Second - which may be more tricky. Ideally I'd like to use the forms for managing member subscriptions, but as the forms isn't linked to a database I am using surveys, which kind of works for the most part.

Each year I will ask users to review the data we have on them and amend (and confirm if they still wish to be a member). This is tricky because I can't tell easily if members have updated the input when nothing has changed. Is there a way to blank out certain fields to force the user to update it? E.G. "would you like to renew your subscription" should be empty at the start of the year. I'm thinking that I'd need to delete all the data and then re-upload with with some fields blanked out for them to fill again. This seems a litle cluncky. Any tips or developments that could improve these experiences very welcome.

Thank you again, I appreciate the time you take answering queries and supporting us :)

Kev

Posted by Joe Oldak on

Thanks for the suggestions.

The first is a good point, that a survey needs a public shareable link that copes well depending on different user scenarios (e.g., the user needs to log in, or has already completed the survey, etc). At the moment the survey index page (and includelet) cope correctly, but this isn't much use if you want to share a link to a specific survey to users, or to social media, etc.

The second part would be improved by fixing the first - at least you could easily send out a link to all your members asking them to review/update their membership details (and assume they were happy with the status quo if they don't make any changes). You can also send out a pre-authenticated link from the survey tool which can help here as users don't need to find their login details!

Maybe you could add a new question at the start of the year before you send out for renewals (e.g., Do you want to renew for 2023?), and if necessary delete last year's question. Then when a user goes to edit their previous answers this question will appear with no answer. If you make it yes/no and a required answer then they won't be able to submit unless they answer it.

Thanks!

Joe

Posted by Kev Cannings on

"add a new question at the start of the year before you send out for renewals (e.g., Do you want to renew for 2023?), and if necessary delete last year's question."

Thanks Joe - that's the tip I needed. I could work with that.

"this isn't much use if you want to share a link to a specific survey to users, or to social media, etc."

Agreed. I saw your message regarding this, and look forward to seeing how you develop the survey app.

Thanks again Joe. Have a good week!