Posted by Jings, it's John! on

The second issue (the line containing "Home" and "Contact" beneath your navigation menu): without seeing your site, my best guess would be that this is the breadcrumb ( or crumbtrail).

The breadcrumb provides links to the pages between the current page and the site's homepage – essentially it's a way of indicating to people where they currently are in your site. 

For example, if your site was about food, it might have a section on recipes, and that might be divided into recipes for meat, fish and vegetables. If there was a page for a Lancashire hotpot in the meat section then its breadcrumb may be something like this:

Home > Recipes > Meat > Lancashire hotpot

And everything in the breadcrumb except Lancashire hotpot would be a link leading to a page.

On a small site with only a few pages, the breadcrumb won't provide much benefit (for most pages the breadcrumb may only show the name of the current page and the link to Home), but equally it won't cause any harm. On a more complex site, like the example above, it can help people know which part of the site they are in and provide a quick way to navigate.

I think in another post, you said that your site uses the Modern theme. There isn't a simple way to hide the breadcrumb in Modern, so I'd be inclined to leave it as is. If you really want to hide the breadcrumb, reply here and I can outline the options for you.

Posted by efoe on

Thanks for both your answers John. About moving includelets, I did eventually work out for myself why I couldn't move them.

About the breadcrumb trail, I don't think it's necessary at present, but it's possible that the website will grow into a more complicated structure, and then it will be useful. So I think I'll leave it as it is, but if you want something to pass the time, you could write something here about it, and it may be useful to other people.

Incidentally, the second item in the breadcrumb trail shows as "Content" in Preview, but as the name of the current page when I look at the actual website. So much for WYSIWYG.