Posted by Secretary Nat on

We have a need to restrict membership to a particular voting ward . Is there any way, before making someone a member, of seeing their full name so that we are able to write and check their address.
The same applies to members, how can I see their full names.
I am new to this so the answer might be obvious...thanks in advance.
Mike

2: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 1)

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately we don't provide full name details for users as that would create a data protection issue.

As an administrator you are provided the email address of the account so you can email them to get in contact.

If that doesn't help or you need further information please do get back in touch.

Regards,

Rob Denison.

Cambridge Open Systems' support team

3: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 2)

Thank you Rob, I understand now. Am I able to access their full name once joined so as to tie up screen names with real people.

I'm not a computer person but have enjoyed a steep learning curve with this project.

Many thanks

Mike

4: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 3)
Posted by Joe Oldak on

Hi Mike,

At the moment the only way you would see their real name is if they don't specify a nickname thereby allowing users to see their real name. If you want to discover their real name you could contact them direct with their email address.

We are looking into the data protection issues of allowing administrators of community sites to have access to members real names. if we find we can make some changes to allow access within the system we'll carry out the implementation and make our users aware.

Thanks,

Rob Denison.

Cambridge Open Systems' Support Team

5: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 4)

Many Thanks for your prompt reply

Mike

6: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 4)
Posted by DaveP on

Hi Rob,

I too am finding it problematic to not be able to see the full name of someone requesting to join the site. I wonder if there has been any progress on the consideration you refer to above.

Even with the site set to private, I have had cases where a user responds with a different email address to that which I hold and also provides a screen name. I then have to guess or, as you suggest, email them to ask them who they are. It looks very strange to the users as they have provided a name in their request.

Is there really a data protection issue over me knowing the names of people who are requesting access to the site I administer? I understand that for some forums this would be inappropriate but surely for most, if not all, on Voice.

The change that I would like to see would be for the full name to visible along with the email address in the list of users waiting for approval and in the Users and Permissions page.

Many Thanks

Dave Plummer

Bracondale Residents' Association Web Administrator

8: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 6)
Posted by Voice Admin on

I tend to agree, that there's little harm in showing the real name in the Members list for the site (visible only to the site administrators), as long as this isn't shown publicly (in forums etc).

I'll add this change soon.

Thanks

Joe - Voice Admin

9: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 8)
Posted by DaveP on

Thanks Joe,

It would be great to see that.

Dave

10: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 9)
Posted by Voice Admin on

For users with a screen name, in the admin members listing you will now see:

FirstName LastName / ScreenName

Hopefully this is useful!

Joe - Voice Admin

11: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 10)
Posted by DaveP on

Hi Joe,

Great that is what I was hoping for. Will names also now be visible in the list of people seeking approval?

Many thanks

Dave

12: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 11)
Posted by Voice Admin on

> Will names also now be visible in the list of people seeking approval?

They will - yes.

Joe - Voice Admin

7: Re: Accessing Full Names (response to 4)
Posted by Deleted User on

How does passing their name;

when they have not entered a nickname;

when they have entered a nickname not:

satisy data protection?