Free Websites for Local Communities
A VOICE for Your Community
VOICE is an easy-to-use website builder available free of charge to all community, not-for-profit, and voluntary groups in the UK. It is already used by hundreds of organisations including charities, schools, town and parish councils, sports clubs, and special interest groups.
VOICE enables you to add and update your website quickly and easily with no technical expertise required. All you need is a computer, internet connection, and a browser.
Website modules such as forums, picture galleries, petitions and surveys are available for you to add to your website with a single click.
Applying for a Website on VOICE
The process for getting your free website is as follows:
- Login to VOICE. If you don't already have an account then you can register for a new one.
- Apply for your site.
- Your application will be reviewed by the administrators. If your application is successful you will be notified by email. Usually this takes no more than one working day.
- Your site will be created using the details you supplied on the application form, and you will be made the administrator of that site.
There are help sheets available here which give further details on getting started on VOICE.
Similar Services Provided by Local Authorities
Before applying for a free Website on VOICE, you may wish to check that your LA does not already provide a similar service offering free websites. If they do, they are likely to offer free technical support and training courses if you use their system. The following projects use the same software that VOICE is based on:
- BucksInfo.net - community websites in Buckinghamshire
- EssexInfo.net - community websites in Essex
- Project Involve - parish and community websites in the East of England
- SurreyCommuniy.info - community websites in Surrey
Please visit their website if you are interested in applying for a community site in any of these areas.