Help FOTE to save our river
One of the best ways you can help save the Ems is to lobby influential people by email. Here are some guidelines. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
- Say who you are and where you live, and that you are a supporter of Friends of the Ems.
- Say you know the Ems was once a strong river supporting water meadows, water mills and watercress beds.
- Read the information on our website and use the points that mean the most to you.
- Say why you care about the Ems and associated waterways (e.g. childhood memories, wildlife haven, swimming, boating, fishing, walks, stress relief etc.).
- Say how you feel about the lack of water in recent years.
- Say what you want to happen (e.g. a viable flow all year round, an end or very substantial reduction in water taken from the underground sources of the Ems).
- Say you want a reply.
- Don't be afraid to be direct and clear but be polite. Even minor abuse lets the recipient off the hook because they can dismiss your views.
- Encourage sympathetic politicians or groups to continue to back our campaign and let them know the issue is still alive locally.
- Copy in FOTE and campaign organisations.
Who to write to
Portsmouth Water firstname.lastname@example.org
Environment Agency email@example.com
Rebecca Pow, Parliamentary Under-Secretary at Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. firstname.lastname@example.org
All-Party Parliamentary Group on Chalk Streams email@example.com
Gillian Keegan, MP for Chichester firstname.lastname@example.org
West Sussex county councillor Mike Magill email@example.com
Chichester district councillor Roy Briscoe firstname.lastname@example.org
Sussex Wildlife Trust email@example.com
Salmon & Trout Conservation firstname.lastname@example.org
Chalk Aquifer Alliance email@example.com
Arun and Rother River Trust https://arrt.org.uk/contact/