Help FOTE to save our river
One of the best ways you can help save the Ems is to lobby influential people by email. Here are some guidelines. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
- Say who you are and where you live, and that you are a supporter of Friends of the Ems.
- Say you know the Ems was once a strong river supporting water meadows, water mills and watercress beds.
- Read the information on our website and use the points that mean the most to you.
- Say why you care about the Ems and associated waterways (e.g. childhood memories, wildlife haven, swimming, boating, fishing, walks, stress relief etc.).
- Say how you feel about the lack of water in recent years.
- Say what you want to happen (e.g. a viable flow all year round, an end or very substantial reduction in water taken from the underground sources of the Ems).
- Say you want a reply.
- Don't be afraid to be direct and clear but be polite. Even minor abuse lets the recipient off the hook because they can dismiss your views.
- Encourage sympathetic politicians or groups to continue to back our campaign and let them know the issue is still alive locally.
- Copy in FOTE and campaign organisations.
Who to write to
Portsmouth Water email@example.com
Environment Agency firstname.lastname@example.org
Rebecca Pow, Parliamentary Under-Secretary at Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. email@example.com
All-Party Parliamentary Group on Chalk Streams firstname.lastname@example.org
Gillian Keegan, MP for Chichester email@example.com
West Sussex county councillor Mike Magill firstname.lastname@example.org
Chichester district councillor Roy Briscoe email@example.com
Sussex Wildlife Trust firstname.lastname@example.org
Salmon & Trout Conservation email@example.com
Chalk Aquifer Alliance firstname.lastname@example.org
Arun and Rother River Trust https://arrt.org.uk/contact/