Chapels and Churches

Over several hundred years the village has had a number of different places of worship.  Even though Great Eccleston existed as a township long before 1066 there is no evidence of a Saxon Church, in fact the Parish Church of St Anne did not exist in Great Eccleston when it was built in 1723, it was located in Copp Chapell. 

 

Prior to the building of this church there were at least three known chapels in the village.  One was situated opposite the old post office on Raikes Road and was a Roman Catholic chapel whilst another known one was next to the White Bull at Rose cottage.  this latter chapel still has an emblem above the door showing its status.

 

More modern churches include

  • St Mary's Catholic Church, Hall Lane - founded 1771
  • Chapel Street Wesleyan Methodist - founded before 1847 now closed and developed as private housing
  • Methodist Church, High Street - founded 1870 closed Twentieth Century site now developed as residential accommodation
  • Hall Lane Methodist Church - built 1970