The Church of St Anne, Copp

The church has sat on its present site for over 300 years. The original building, was called Eccleston Chappell Without as it was built at Copp Chappell.  This chapel was not built in the village but outside it, hence the name without. It was built by St Michaels, which was the Parish as a Chapel of Ease. A Chapel of Ease was for those people who could not visit the Parish Church.  Early maps show the Chapel had not been built in 1659 therefiore it is assumed that the Chapel had been constructed in 1723 as first thought.


It was built on an 'island' hill being on land higher than the surrounding landscape and therefore could be seen by local villages.  Cop in Old Norse means hill. All we know of the original chapel was that it did not contain a tower and was just a nave.  The floor was earth and therefore was strewn regularly with local rushes and lit by tallow candles. Prior to the building of the chapel there were three other chapels in the village, possibly 2 down Raikes and one in the Square. 

This grade II listed building was listed with English Heritage in 1967 and carries the legacy number of 185015

The current church was built in 1884-5, although it contains remains from an 18th Century church. As with many of the local buildings in it coursed with local sandstone and has a slate roof.  The building has a west tower, something that was not added to previous churches on this site. It also has a lower chancel, nave and south porch.

The tower is a remnant from the earlier church having been built in 1841.  When it was built it was encased and raised in 3 stages with lancet bell openings and an embattled parapet carried on a corbel table. South nave wall has 4 bays to east of porch, with lancet windows. The East Window has three lancets. 

The chancel has one bay with paired lancets. The east window is of 3 stepped lancet lights under a round hood. Above the porch door, which has a chamfered surround with shouldered lintel, is a plaque inscribed

'S.A.1723'. This refers to original chapel on this site, parts of which are said to be retained within the present fabric.

The Interior has open timber roof with bolted king posts having curved braces to the principals, and with curved queen struts. The chancel roof has scissor-braced rafters. The west gallery has a front of raised panels and is carried on iron columns with foliated caps.