Church & History
Before the beginning, we met in Crewe Toll starting in 1952, where there is now a petrol station. In 1954, the land for the church was bought for £34/2/6 per annum. The Foundation Stone was laid on 19th May 1955. Architects Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul of Rutland Square designed the first part of the present building to resemble agricultural buildings, as the area had been farmland since the 14th century. Local people contributed towards the cost of the building. Eighty percent of the people in Drylaw paid sixpence weekly, which was collected from them every Friday.
In the 60's there was a huge Sunday School, up to 1000 children and 8 buses were hired for the annual picnic; Boys Brigade, Guides and Brownies thrived and holidays clubs ran twice a year. In the 70's the Young Mums Group was very active and variety shows were put on called Tots to Teens. Young mums recruited older adults to make props and costumes.
In the 80's the Rainbow Club for frail, older people was begun and continues to meet each weekday in the Threepenny Hall. A Pop Opera was produced with children and adults, called Xmas Jazz.
In the 90's the deaconess Morag Crawford initiated Flower Festivals that happened annually for several years and attracted many visitors from around and further afield.
Also in this period, the whole congregation was involved in building a, true to detail, Palestinian House - the house itself, people, artefacts, sheep and goats and even a full-sized camel! There was an open weekend in Drylaw Church and then it went to the City Chambers and travelled to many places in Scotland.
In 2002 there was a celebration of 50 years with a flower display and a photo exhibition.
Drylaw Church had a fairly big choir for almost 40 years; for 30 of those years it was led by James Smith. There was always an annual carol concert.