Carlisle Park was bought by Hampton UDC in the 1920's following aquisition by Middlesex County Council from the estate of Lord Carlisle and is protected by Act of Parliament.
Carlisle Park takes its name from George James Howard, 9th Earl of Carlisle (12 August 1843 – 16 April 1911). George was known as George Howard until 1889, and was an English aristocrat, politician and painter. He graduated from Cambridge where he studied at Heatherley School of Fine Art in London.
Howard's work can be found in a number of public and private collections, including the Tate, York Art Gallery, the Government Art Collection, the National Portrait Gallery, the Ashmolean Museum, the Delaware Art Museum, the Castle Howard collection and the British Library.
Howard was Liberal Party Member of Parliament for East Cumberland between 1879 and 1880 and again between 1881 and 1885. He succeeded in the earldom in 1889 on the death of his uncle William Howard, 8th Earl of Carlisle.
The Howards lived in London in Kensington, in a house at 1 Palace Green, and at Naworth Castle. Among their visitors at Naworth were Robert Browning, William Ewart Gladstone, Lewis Carroll and Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
William Morris was an intimate friend, and his wallpapers were used in Kensington, at Naworth Castle and at Castle Howard when George inherited it. With Morris and Webb he was one of the founding members of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.