What we do and why we do it
BRAUNTON TWINNING ORGANISATION
The Braunton Twinning Organisation is dedicated to forging links with our French friends in Plouescat, Brittany. The Twinning group has been running for over 40 years and during that time we have developed close ties with our Breton friends.
The Twinning Organisation is open to anyone living in the local and district area and gives people a chance to experience French and Breton Culture and family life.
Braunton Twinning was formed by Trevor Hickman, Head Master of Braunton Secondary School, and Councillor John Incledon.
They wanted to twin with a similar size village situated in a rural agricultural area, with fishing ports and holiday beaches. They chose Plouescat in Brittany. The villages received their charter on October 25th 1975 and the rest is history! This map/picture shows that Plouescat is very handily placed in Brittany, less than half an hour by road from the port of Roscoff.
BRAUNTON TWINNING AT A GLANCE. (please see also the Photo Album tab which has some great photos of Plouescat and surrounding area.)
- We are twinned with Plouescat in Brittany. A village situated close to an estuary in a rural coastal area.
- We are very keen to promote understanding and friendship between our two cultures.
- We meet for 4/5 DAYS every year in May. We visit them one year and they come over for a visit the following year.
- When in Plouescat we are hosted by a number of French families, and then we host them the following year.
- We have a regular number of social events open to members, friends and prospective new members. This raises money to help with hosting our French friends.
WHAT OUR TWINNING CAN OFFER YOU
- A chance to build lasting friendships with our French friends.
- A chance to experience life with a French family…language is NOT a problem at all.
- A chance to practice your French, or pick up a bit of French, in a natural situation…if you wish. Ideal for the children.
- A chance to meet local people and to socialise
- A chance to represent Braunton Twinning in Brittany, France.