WEST LEEDS WALKING GROUP EST 2004

 

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Denison Hall Social Club

Friday 26th January 2018

 

APOLOGIES

Christine Simpson

Brenda Townsend

Nikki Allen

Peter Allen

32 members attended

 

Angela Whitehead, Treasurer, announced that she would have to leave the meeting early.

Mick Dempsey, Chair, welcomed everyone to the 2018 Annual General Meeting.

 

ACCOUNTS

Angela, Treasurer, presented the audited accounts.

Expenditure included:

4 x coach trips made a loss of £55. Christmas Meals = 95 @ £10.00 = £950.

Charities 2 x £200 = £400. New walk expenses = £7.50.

Angela asked if there were any questions and Mick Dempsey asked what the new walk expenses were for and Angela explained that train fares had been involved in a recce. Accounts were accepted and seconded.

Angela asked, as she was leaving early, for confirmation of the charities to support for 2018. It was unaminously agreed that Yorkshire Air Ambulance should continue to be supported.

Ann Bradshaw, minutes secretary asked if we woukld consider supporting 'Carers Leeds'. Ann informed the meeting that her Daughter works for this worthwhile local charity and gave a brief outline of the services covered i.e.supporting carers who work, young people who care for a family member, bereavement support etc. 

Margery Manson suggested that 3 charities be supported but this was not accepted.

Carers Leeds was accepted by the majority and will be our chosen charity to support in 2018 along with Yorkshire Air Ambulance.

 

SECRETARY'S REPORT

Bill Stevens, Secretary, advised that the possible grant from Skipton Building Society had been unsuccessful due to the lack of votes received. Bill informed the meeting that he had a copy of the email he received explaining the reasons for anyone who did not have access to a computer to see after the meeting.

He also said that he had copies of last years's thankyou letters from Yorkshire Air Ambulance and Guide Dogs for anyone to see after the meeting.

Bill asked that the new date for the February wander to Morecambe be passed on to all walkers.This is different to the date on the programme as it fell during half term and the low fare offer was not available at that time.

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS FROM 2017

Mick Dempsey thanked everyone for attending the AGM and gave his Charman's report as follows:

It is with sadness that I have to report that we lost 4 members of our group this year, Margo Evans,Brian Rhodes,Betty Lomas and Barbara Hunter.

On a lighter note both Kath and Derek are recovering from their illnesses, we hope to see them on our walks in the coming year.

All walks were well supported and the profits from the raffles etc enabled the group to donate to 2 charities, Guide Dogs for the Blind and Yorkshire Air Ambulance, £200 each.

We managed 4 coach trips, Chatsworth, Wolds Way Lavender with Scarborough, Wycoller and Swinsty Reservoir with Harrogate.

Thanks to all leaders etc who spent many hours recceing and researching the various trips.Doreen at this point gave thanks to the walk leaders and this was followed by spontaneous applause.

Mick continued. The Green Bag went on tour this year and found itself in many parts of the world.All the countries of the UK. Cities too numerous to mention, Poland, Malta,Portugal  Latvia, Lanzarote, Tenerife, Gibraltar, Greece and India. It also found itself on a cruise and at the Chelsea Flower Show as well as being taken for a dance around the Tower ballroom in Blackpool. Apologies for any countries that I missed.

We also included more new walks into the programme, thanks again to all walkers and leaders who suggested and even led these varied walks. New ideas are always welcome.

Bill Stevens along with Christine Simpson have started our new website on e-voice, it gives all the information for walks past and present along with walk reviews and photos of all our activities. Pease log on to get up to date information. Ask them for details of the web address.

We also held our Christmas parties at The Cornmill, for Tuesday and Wednesday walkers and Napoleons's Casino for Monday and Friday walkers. Bramley Thursday walker held their party at The West End pub and Wortley Beck Walkers went to Farnley Cricket Club. The Christmas Cracker at Denison Hall was well attended. Various quizzes and types of bingo were played with played with prizes for each winner. Special thanks to Doreen and her team for laying out a fabulous array of food.

Richard Gilbert informed the meeting that £115.07 had been collected for St. George's Crypt and the total over the years was £626.59.

Richard was commended for his efforts. He produced a certificate and thankyou letter from St. George's Crypt to pass round the meeting. Bill Stevens said he would post a copy on the website.

David Burrell asked if a new walk from Asda Oldfield Lane to The Beulah could be added to the Friday walk list? The walk takes approx 1 hour 15 minutes with a cafe at The Beulah. The possibility of getting there by bus to join at the cafe or to walk there and return by bus was considered.

Mick suggested a trial before adding it to the programme.

 

ELECTIONS 2018

Mick Dempsey read out all the names of management, walk leaders and committee. All were agreed on.

Brenda Townsend stood down from the role of Vice- chair and this position is withdrawn.Brenda is, however, continuing as a walk leader.

It was noted that a committee member was absent and no apologies received and it is assumed that this person is no longer part of the committee.

Doreen to make an informal call to ascertain if there is still an interest and to pass on thanks from the committee for their involvement and support in the past.

Bill Stevens pointed out that the list of over 80's was increasing and that some names had been on the list for a number of years and asked if anyone had any information concerning people who had not been heard from for some time.

Audrey Hook informed that Ray Haigh was ill.

 

MONTHLY WANDERS

The monthly wanders for the next programme are:

April - Yorkshire Sculpture Park and Bretton Country Park - Bus

May - Goathland and Whitby - Train

June - Skipton Woods - Train

There are 4 coach trips planned over the year. Goathland/Whitby, Burnby House/garden and Bridlington, Chester and Ogden Water/Haworth.

Tetley's coaches have been booked in advance at a satisfactory prices.

 

WALK REVIEW

Mick asked if everyone was happy with the walks and received a postive response. Christine has posted a review of 2017 on the website and copies were distributed to all who attended the meeting.

David Burrell mentioned the fact that Northern Rail were doing a £10 offer in the Y.E.P. 3 tokens to be attached to a form that can be printed online. It was advised that tickets could be purchased 3 days before the date of travel and that it would be advisable to purchase the tickets on the Monday before the trip to Morecambe.

Janet Maguire said the offer lasted until the end of March and could be used for the Hollingworth trip.

Tickets for the Hollingworth trip are required to go to Littleborough via Walsden to get the cheaper fare.

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

An enquiry was made as to whether anyone had seen Joe. He was seen by someone in Leeds but didn't seem to recognise them. Further enquiries are to be made.

Mick asked if everyone was still carrrying the info lists/medical alerts. Most people were but some required new ones. Janice Campbell handed some around.

Mick had enquired about lanyards to keep these forms in and has received a quote of £1.29 each.

Mick thanked Doreen for the buffet and everyone for attending and closed the meeting at 12.45pm

 

Next Committee Meeting Friday April 27th 2018

 

-------------------------------------------------

        

AUTUMN COMMITTEE MEETING

Denison Hall Social Club

Friday 27th October 2017

 

APOLOGIES

Mick Dempsey

Janet Maguire

Kath Child

Audrey Hook

June Evans

Margaret Wilkinson

David Taylor

Trisha Keighley

15 members attended

 

Bill Stevens chaired the meeting in Mick Dempsey's absence and thanked everyone for coming.

 

MATTERS ARISING FROM LAST MINUTES

Bill Stevens informed everyone that complaints were received after the last meeting because many people could not hear what was being said.   This could have been because people were not speaking loud enough or because too many people were talking at once.

Bill stressed that we are in a committee meeting and not a social get together and that anyone who had anything to say should raise their hand so the chairman could say who they were for the benefit of the Minutes Secretary.

All agreed.

SECRETARY'S REPORT

Bill said he had spoken to Kath and that she would like to thank everyone for all their messages and well wishes.  She really appreciates all the support.

We are waiting for the result of the bid for a grant from Skipton Building Society which should be known in November.

Bill also said that he would like to thank, on behalf of everyone, Angela, Mick and Janet for all the work they had done on the Wycoller walk and Angela for the Mystery walk.

All agreed how much they had enjoyed both walks.

TREASURER'S REPORT

Angela informed the meeting of the income and expendiure for the previous quarter and what the balance of group funds was.

Margery Manson stated that walk leaders should not have to fund the cost of recces themselves and that these should come out of group funds.

After some discussion it was agreed that expenses for recces would come from group funds.

MANAGEMENT AND COMMITTEE

Bill Stevens advised that October was the month that all applications for Management and Committee for 2018 should be received.

He asked if all present agreed to continue in their roles for 2018. All Management and Committee members present agreed accept for Brenda Townsend who stated that she did not wish to be considered for the position of Vice -chair.

Anglea Whitehead stated that as the position had been an honorary title for Brenda it did not seem necessary to fill the position.

All agreed.

MONTHLY WANDERS

The Monthly Wanders for the next programme are :

January - Slaithwaite to Morsden

February - Morecambe

March- Hollingworth Lake

The rail offer for Morecambe has not been advertised yet. Therefore it has been decided to have a back up/alternative destination i.e. Skipton if the offer is not forthcoming.

Christine Simpson said that it was a good idea to have an alternative anyway as there was always the possibilty of strikes, rail repairs etc.

The time and place will remain unaltered as shown on the programme.

A number of suggestions for wanders in 2018 have been received and a meeting is being arranged for Mangement/Walk Leaders to discuss these.

WALK REVIEW

Bill Stevens expressed his thanks to Angela, Mick, Janet, Christine, Anne and Geoff for all their help with leading walks and to all the committee members for the work they have done.

Margery Manson thanked Angela for guiding 'two very old ladies' on the Wycoller walk.

Everyone was asked if they were happy with the walks and all agreed they were.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Janice Campbell advised that walk leaders had always provided prizes for the Christmas Cracker raffle but Angela said that it seemed unfair that walk leaders should have to pay for prizes as there was no reason why the cost of prizes should not come from group funds.

After some discussion it was agreed that in future all prizes would be provided out of group funds.

Janice informed that group that June Evans was concerned that she may be offending some wakers with her jokes that were sometimes a bit risque.  Everyone agreed that they were happy for June to continue with her jokes.   Doreen stated that as long as the jokes weren't prejudiced they were acceptable.

The subject of qualified first aiders was raised and Bill asked if anyone was aware of first aid refresher courses for walk leaders.

Angela said that she didn't think it was necessary as emergency numbers can be used on mobiles phones and advice given by professionals.

Margery pointed out that all walks are undertaken "at your own risk".

Janice informed the group that Brian was home from hospital and that she had sent him a Birthday card.

Angela told us that the insurance has been renewed, which had gone up by less than 50p a month. We will reconsider if it continues to rise.

Richard Gilbert said there were still places left if anyone wanted to attend the Christmas Lunch at The Cornmill.

Richard also asked if it would be ok to bring the collection boxes for St Georges Crypt as in other years.  It was unanimously agreed.

Bill Stevens thanked Doreen for the buffet and thanked Ann for taking the minutes and closed the meeting st 12.35pm.

NEXT MEETING A.G.M.FRIDAY 26th JANUARY 2018