Information on assessments and assessors:


1.  Screening:

This is a brief overview of strengths and weaknesses, to try and discover whether a person might have a specific learning difficulty [SpLD]. Screenings are  carried out in schools, usually by non-specialists. They can be a very useful starting point, but they are not assessments.


2.  Check Lists:

Check lists  offer a  useful starting point in collecting evidence towards a range of Specific Learning Difficulties, such as dyslexia.and  a very good starting point when preparing for a full assessment,


Reputable sources:

   - BDA: Dyslexia checklists  - British Dyslexia Association (

   - Dyslexia Assessment and Consultancy:

    -Ann Arbor:


3.  Assessments


 There are 5 basic kinds of assessment:

  Literacy assessment [or numeracy where needed]  normally done in schools   investigates literacy skills to analysing difficulties in reading and spelling/writing; and recommendis support.

This is the most appropriate type of assessment for t Key Stage 1 and early Key Stage 2. as  dyslexia cannot be definitely diagnosed before the age of 7 years,


 -   Examination Access Arrangements, for GCSE or GCE  and equivalent qualifications. This  assesses reading skills, writing skills (including spelling) and processing skills that may cause a slow speed of working for otherwise able students. 

For further details contact

 Access Arrangements, Reasonable Adjustments and Special Consideration - JCQ Joint Council for Qualifications


  Full diagnostic assessment – This is a detailed assessment taking at least 2 hours (usually more) that looks at underlying ability, literacy skills and processing skills: this is the only type of assessment that can diagnose dyslexia or other kinds of specific learning difficulties. For this reason it is the most expensive type of assessment, carried out either by an educational psychologist or by a specialist teacher assessor, preferably one with a current Assessment Practising Certificate [APC].

For information :

Assessments - British Dyslexia Association (

Assessors should only selected from reputable lists , and the assessor’s qualifications are checked by the regulatory authority.

To find an  educational psychologist contact:

 -The British Psychological Society -Find a psychologist | BPS

-  The Health and Care Professions Council:  Check the Register and find a registered health and care professional | (


To find an appropriate teacher assessor contact:

 -  Patoss:  

 - The SpLD Assessment Standards Committee:



 Assessment for University Disabled Students (DSA) 

 This is a specific kind of full diagnostic assessment, as above, that is carried out just before or during the time a student is studying at Higher Education level that is university level . A student with a  diagnostic assessment report is entitled to apply for DSA grant  that cover both equipment and tutoring support throughout the course

Only APC holding specialist teachers or educational psychologists can carry out such assessments, regulated by the DfE and Student Finance England [SfE]. For this reason, checking the qualifications and experience of the assessor is vital.

For further information contact:

Student Finance England:

A really useful leaflet 

 Bridging the gap: A guide to the Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) in Higher Education 2020/21 (


-  Workplace assessment – This type of assessment is tailored specifically for adults in the workplace and  consists of a two part process: the diagnostic assessment, ; followed by an evaluation of the employee in the workplace, in order to recommend reasonable adjustments that can be made to assist the employee.

 For  information 

Dyslexia Assessment and Consultancy: