Interesting Facts

Interesting Facts about Tillicoultry

Interesting facts about Tillicoultry

The name Tillicoultry:- The most likely origin is Gaelic "Tullich-cul-tir" the mount or hill at  the back of the hill. There is also a story about a Highlandman was taking a drove of cattle along the old road, and when passing through the burn, none of the cattle took a drink. When in astonishment he exclaimed, 'There's Tiel a coo try" (Deil a cow dry) in Highlandman's way of pronouncing the D, and hence it is said the town got its name!

Estate of Tillicoultry:- was granted to the family of Mar in 1261

Parish of Tillicoultry :- in the early days they were three villages in the parish of Tillicoultry:- Eastertown, Westertown and Coalsnuaghton. Harviestoun Burn ran through the centre of Eastertown, the portion of the village on the west side of the burn was called Ellieston, while that on the east was called Harviestoun.

Dam Head :- Tillicoultry dam head erected in1824 was replaced with a new one in 1853-1854 and cost £515. Mr Graham Paterson was the architect and builder of it. A carriage had to be specially build to take the enormous logs required for the construction to the site of the new dam. They were dragged up the sledge road entering by the gate near the Wood Burn, a number of horses were required in the operation.

COPPER :- from 1740 to 1745 copper was wrought  from the Mill Glen area, the thickest vein discovered was about 18 inches.

Tillicoultry serge :- During the 16th century cloth manufactured in Tillicoultry became so famous that when it was made in other parts of the country it was known as "Tillicoultry Serge"

FIRST POSTMASTER :- the first postmaster in Tillicoultry was Mr Tomas Walker in 1833

BURGH :- Tillicoultry was made in to a burgh in 1871

FREDRICK STREET :- this was the principal street in 1805

J & D Paton :-James and David Paton  set up business in 1824 and at the time was the main employer in Tillicoultry. They had seventeen sets of carding and spinning machinery and up wards of 250 power and hand looms. Their goods were exhibited at the first Great Exhibition in London in 1851. James build a manse for the U.P.Church, bought the old manse and presented it to the village for a British beside what is now known as "Kirk Care") Workman Public House. (This stood

Mr Archibald :- of Robert Archibald & Sons woolen manufacture in Tillicoultry in 1871, later build a new mill in 1817. Mr Archibald provided £1500 for a clock tower to be build onto the town hall. The town hall is now demolished, the clock tower is still standing, however the clock is not working and requires stone work repairs.

Great Flood :- On the 28th August 1877 the heavens opened up and the Ochils and Devon Valley were subject to a downpour the like the inhabitants had never seen. Tillicoultry where it seemed to have caused the greatest havoc. Tillicoultry burn came racing down in a mighty wall of water of some seven feet high. causing great destruction to property all down through the village. Mr Hutchison mill owner, Isabella Miller and William Stillie were standing on a narrow wooden bridge trying to ascertain how best they could protect the mill , when the bridge was swept away. Mr Hutchison and Isabella Miller were drowned, William Stillie managed get hold of iron stanchions in the windows of a mill further down and held on until he was rescued.

1883 Flood :- on 2nd August saw another large flood. After pouring down about five o'clock in the afternoon waterspouts burst on the hill above Tillicoultry. The burn suddenly came down in one great wall of water of some seven feet high. The water burst the banks of the burn and flowed down the High Street for some hours to the depth of  about three feet. Hundreds of tons of stones and gravel deposited in Lower Mill Street and the High Street. After that flood the burn was deepened and strong walls were build.

One of the first bus stations in Scotland 

On Friday 28th June 1963 HM Queen Elizabeth II accompanied by Prince Phillip visited Tillicoultry, arriving by train at Tillicoultry Station.

In 1921 Samuel Jones Limited established а paper mill аt Devonvale now home to "Sterling Furniture".

Hillfoots Holiday camp, and had caravans, chalets and camping sites, it was on the road to Marchglen next to were "Patersons Transport" is now.

Previous to 1830 Tillicoultry was a mere village, though even then, and from
the days of Queen Mary, it was famed for the making of blankets and serges. In later times the weaving of tartans and shawls, and the manufacture of tweeds and silks was introduced, and now, owing to these manufactures it is a thriving town.
In 1871 the Lindsay Act was adopted, and under the Burgh Police Act of 1892 a Common Seal was designed as follows. In the centre is a shield divided into four. The first quarter bears a sheep, or hanging fleece, symbolic of the woollen manufactures which are the principal in- dustries of the town. The second quarter bears a spread eagle, which is part of the Wardlaw Ramsay Coat of Arms, Colonel Ramsay being the proprietor of Tillicoultry Estate, and superior of the Burgh. The third quarter bears three crescents, part of the Paton Coat of Arms, and the fourth quarter bears the Coat of Arms of those of the name of Archibald thus described by Nisbet.