Local Economy Topic Paper
Strengths - positive attributes internal to the situation that are within your control.
- Pleasant surroundings
- Close to M25
- Businesses have high exposure and get well known locally
- Local reputation brings in trade
- Great variety of trades locally
- Low travel costs for employees
- Good general store in village centre
- Local businesses contribute to vibrancy and vitality of the parish
* Weaknesses - factors within your control that may impede your ability to meet your objectives.
- Poor public transport links
- Inconsistent Broadband / mobile phone signal
- Remote location - Tatsfield hard to find / poor signage
- Visitors/ suppliers down unmade roads.
- Little passing trade
- Only one shop which is vulnerable
- Difficulty in recruiting staff
Opportunities - external factors that the project should (or could) develop.
- Some vacant retail/commercial premises available
- Demonstrate initiatives to support local businesses
- Focus on business activity that builds on strengths of the parish (i.e. agriculture / renewable technologies / tourism / self-employed/work from home)
- Expansion of existing employment / commercial sites
- Improve transport links
- Improve broadband / mobile network
- Improve links between businesses
Threats - external factors beyond your control that could place the project at risk.
- Greenbelt restricts commercial building
- Any increased business will generate traffic/ parking issues.
- Inappropriate siting of new development
- New development in countryside/greenfield sites (harm to the setting of the village)
- Local businesses leaving the parish due to inadequate infrastructure/customers