Formed during the 1920s, unfortunately the original records have been lost when the secretary of the time moved on taking all the files. The Society was reconstituted in 1949.
Since that time it has run a continuous programme of monthly Winter Talks and varied summer excursions – all with a primary focus on archaeology. Alongside this for a number of years now the Society has also offered a Winter Lecture series on a specific period, or aspect, of archaeology and Summer Study Tours, when a different part of the country is explored in some detail over a few days.
The Socety has an enviable record of active fieldwork which is being continued through our community archaeology arm – Clevedon & Environs. Archaeology Team (CLEAT). One of the earlier records found is for the Avon Development Observation Group set up by Rob Lles, then the archaeologist for Avon County Planning Department, in 1981 with members of the society to:
“encourage local people to keep a watch on development work in their parish for new archaeological finds. It is hoped that you will be able to look out for yourself in placed where new building work is taking place. In certain instances,such as pipelines and development in the vicinity of a known archaeological site,it should be possible to give you some prior notification. Any new finds will be added to Avon Sites and Monuments records and a list of the more significant discoveries published annually.”
Then followed a short ‘What to look for’ briefing for members; the risk assessment for health and safety comprised of just 2 points – a far cry from the multiple page affair which needs to be followed these days.
The CDAS logo is the torque terminal found in Clevedon before 1897. The find's location isn't known and the terminal was rescued just as it was about to be melted down by 'Parson & Son' metalsmith (Bristol). It is now in the British Museum.
(NOTE: The British Museum also dated the torque to the Iron Age).