A typical work day will start on a Sunday at 9.30am. We meet in the car park of the property that we are working at (for properties further away we usually meet at the Quarry Bank Mill Car Park in Styal for a car share).
What will you need?
- Warm/appropriate old clothes and waterproofs that you don't mind getting dirty
- Good sturdy boots (with steel toe caps ideally) - please do not wear trainers.
- Work/gardening gloves/safety glasses - don't worry if you do not have any, we can provide these for you.
- Packed lunch including a drink - a flask containing a hot drink is advisable Please note that alcohol is not allowed.
- Finally, a sense of humour is always useful!
Meet up and instructions
At the start of the workday you will be met by the local Ranger and our worksite leader (whom you will have contacted prior to joining the day). They will introduce you to the rest of the group and will explain the work task for that day, giving a "tool talk" for the safety and effective use of the tools provided. You may need to provide an emergency contact number to the worksite leader for health and safety purposes.
We have a mid-morning break (time for a brew and some homemade or shop bought cake or biscuits) and then a lunch break, we finish around 3.30pm.
End of day
At the end of the workday we sometimes go to a local tea room or pub for a chat before heading home.