Hi all,

Exciting times, there's a New WYSIWYG Editor available for testing! It's not on the live site yet, but if you head over to the test site version of your site then you can try it out. (how to access the test site)

Key Features

• Much easier to use - in particular better table editing and image/media/emoticon insert and update.
  • Not so many button bars: functionality is organised into menus with just the most common features on a single button bar.
  • British English spell checker (also Welsh as an option - I can add more languages on request).
  • Easy access to styles such as headings, blockquotes, and buttons.
  • Produces better/cleaner HTML which should work better in most cases.

Please do try it out and feed back comments/problems. I'll put this live in a few weeks once it's had a bit more testing, and when I've updated the documentation!

Next User Group Zoom Chat

This will be on the 12th March at midday. I will demo the new WYSIWYG editor, and can answer your questions about it before it goes live.

More information and Zoom link on the Voice Users website.

Thanks

Joe

Posted by Bulmer on

Hi Joe,

As you say much easier to use, but I was unable to find where to change the font in the text of a page.

Mike

Hi Joe,

I agree with Mike with reference to fonts.

I also notice that the Horizontal Bar button doesn't work either.  I have tried inserting a bar, as I use them throughout the live site to distinguish between different sections within web-pages.  If you are replicating the current arrangements I would like horizontal bars of different thicknesses and lengths (I use either 80% or 100%).

Kind regards

Alan - Euphonix Choir.

Posted by Joe Oldak on

I've added a font selection under Format > Fonts. I had purposefully not put this in to encourage the use of consistent theme-driven fonts throughout sites, but if it's important for people then I don't mind. Just promise you won't use it too much? :-)

Adding a horizontal bar works fine for me - though it is missing configuration for the height/width of the bar. You just get a standard 'hr' added in the code. For me this is a thin 1px line.

I will look at making a custom plugin to configure the hr thickness and width, but I'm not sure how universally useful this is.

Some Other Changes

On the Test Site there are a couple of other interesting changes available to try out...

Custom includelet Image Size

Previously you could select 'full', 'left' or 'right' for the graphic in the custom include. You can now select 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, or full width for the image, as well as the left/right option. This lets you build up interesting layouts with different sized images and text blocks.

Gallery Popups in Grids in Carousel, Accordion, or Grid includelet

When using Grid mode, you can now turn on Grid Gallery mode, which makes each grid item clickable and open full size in a modal popup. Same as the Related Image Gallery.

This gives another interesting option to build a page with an image gallery with text/description for each image, without the relative complication of using related images.

Thanks

Joe

Posted by sue potter on

Hi Joe

I love the cleaner look of the editor - much easier to navigate and visually easier on the eye.

At first glance I can't see any problems but haven't given it a good bash...

Just checked the events app and that looks really good! Don't think we had much of the text formatting (headings etc) before but they are there now.

Thanks

Sue

The additional options for the Custom Includelet Image Size work very well.

It was very easy to amend the original format and the new image sizing options with text alongside make much more impact.

The additional flexibility will be very useful for planned developments where we need a series of large image with some short explanatory text. 

I have tried the new Gallery Popups in Grids.

In the standard Grid mode I can see the small images in the grid layout as normal.  However, when I switch to the new Grid Gallery mode I can only see the Title of each image in a box, not a small version of the images themselves as I expected.  If I click on a title it pops up and operates like an image gallery and I can see the title and text below the image.

Posted by Joe Oldak on

Could you give me a URL for where the gallery mode isn't working properly? You could email it to me at admin@e-voice.org.uk perhaps. I'll take a look at it and make any required fixes.

Thanks

Joe

Posted by Stephen_DSmith on

Hi Joe,

The editor is much improved, I use tables quite a bit and have the habit of using cut and paste to copy info into them, so it's fantastic to see that the "copy as text" option remains on now!

Sometimes I update events from my phone, so the cleaner toolbar is easier and the option to add a hyperlink can now be done on my phone! The hyperlink button is greyed out on the old editor on the live site when using a mobile phone.

Regards,

Stephen.

Posted by Bulmer on

Hi Joe,

With the new editor I was looking to insert an Anchor link on a page, but have not been able to find anyway to add or amend existing.

Regards

Mike

Posted by Joe Oldak on

Anchors actually seem to work quite well for me in the new wysiwyg!

You can go to Content > Anchor... to create an anchor anywhere on the page. This shows a little marker in the editor which you can select then go to Content > Anchor... again to edit if you want to. The marker isn't visible when you publish the page.

Then you can go anywhere else on the page and select some text to make a link, and the anchor should appear as being available to you in the Anchors popdown.

Thanks

Joe

Posted by Bulmer on

Many thanks Joe, agreed all working now, didn't see the option in Contents, was looking in link.

Thanks

Mike