SAAFI'S ACTIVITIES REFLECT OUR MISSION TO PROVIDE TOOLS TO FACILITATE COMMUNITY AND INDIVIDUAL CHANGE, AIMING TO ENABLE WOMEN TO BREAK FREE FROM POVERTY AND VIOLANCE
North Nest london somali project Exhibition:
The Somali exhibition show cases the lives and th experience of the Somali cmmunity in Brent.
(SAAFI) is working in partnership with LIFT, Brent Museum and Archives and a team of volunteers to deliver the Northwest London Somali Project.
We are exploring and capturing the lives and the experience of Somali community in Brent in the form of oral history and photography.
The project has trained 21 young people to lear local history, how conduct oral interviews and how to design an exhibition. The young helped the process to discover the experience of moving to or growing up in Brent; discuss what it means to be part of the Somali and Brent communities; and develop understanding between generations of Somali people and throughout the wider Brent community.
The exhibition is up now at Brent Civic Centre to showcase the project outcome until 17 October, 2014.
Between now and then we will be sharing photographs, extracts from interviews and our experiences of the project every Friday through Brent Museum and Archives' Facebook page:www.facebook.com/brentmuseumandarchives.
For more information about the project contact Rhoda: email@example.com
UPSKILLING WOMEN TO LEARN SKILLS FOR EMPLOYMENT -
This project trained 20 women to learn how to write CVs, build their confidence, search job, interview techniques and access to computers.
UPSKILLING WOMEN FOR SELF EMPLOYMENT - This project provide women training on how to become self employed and skills needed to be set up her own business.
SAAFI supported the following activities:
- Saafi is a member of prevent core group from Community Safety of Brent Council to ensure women and mothers are consulted the issues of prevention in the Borough.
- Interim Chair of Well being community project of Brent mind to share our expereince with other ethnic communties in Brent
- Participation of SAAFI singers at the Grand opening of Brent Civic Centre, 6 October, 2013
- With the Council of Somali Organisation (UK), SAAFI is co organising A conference on Somali Youth and Criminal Justice on 21 September, 2013 at London Voluntary Services Centre
- Barnhill ward funded Samo wade project to organize 3 weeks sports training and fun day open to the whole of Chalk hill community to be held in October 20, 2013.
- Participation of Glastonbury Festival on 30 June, 2013 – SAAFI singer performed
- Multi-agency partnership week of action on Church Road (15 – 20 July, 2013) - The first time of the week of Action from Brent and we are still part of that.
- We are are a member and closely with the Unity Neighborhood Forum at Church Road to ensure the communities are part of the changing regeneration of the local area.
- Facilitated meetings with Brent FGM task force(CIIrs) and the Somali women
- Member of FGM focus group in Brent and London
Other activities SAAFI is currently running or just finished are the following:
- On going one-to-one advice and guidance for single mothers on issues which includes education for their children, housing benefit issues, and health which is an on-gong project
- Once a week well being and mental health drop in session for women and their families to 0ffer emotional support to Somalis with mental health difficulties and their families. Providing information of strategies to maintain healthy minds or to recover from common mental health difficulties. Strengthening families’ project which consists of three components; Parenting classes for mothers to understand the British system, after school club for children (7 – 16 yrs) and ESOL for mothers to better communicate in English.
- Annual Mothers’ for Youth project which addresses a theme every year to bring families together in a more fun way through drama and song. We then show case during Mother’s day in March/April
- Mayor of London’s annual Eid festival
- Brent dance months participation each year
- SAAFI works closely around 6 primary schools and 4 high schools. In fact SAAFI initiative was born from Mitchell Brook school which two thirds of the children are ethnic Somalis SAAFI since 1998 addresses problems face by children in education and gives the parents assisting in understanding how British schooling works
- We get involved with the Social services regarding Somali children at risk and often act as advocates.
- Phase one of IT training for NEET in Church Road and Church end neighborhood area have just been finished
North west somali project (NWSL):: 2014
The project focuses on children who want to learn about the local history of Brent. Through this project, we hope to teach the children the history of Brent and share their memories and thoughts of Brent. 15 people have already volunteered to participate in this project. The children will also be exploring museums and archives in Brent.
The project will also help build the confidence of the child and create a platform for them to openly discuss their memories of Brent.
Mental Health Awareness workshops
SAAFI conducts Mental Health Awareness workshops and where to go for help among the Somali community in Brent with mental health professionals organisations like Brent Mind, Certitude (Fanon). Saafi conducted 4 workshops on mental health problems common to Somali community and how to get support and where go.
ARTS AND CULTURAL PROJECTS:
To raise the profile of the Somali community in Brent for positive integration SAAFI has carried about 11 events since 2010 which includes: promote Somali Arts and Culture at Brent