‘Voices from the Shadows’ Directed by Josh Briggs & Natalie Boulton
This is one-hour film bearing witness to the tragic consequences of psychiatric prejudice and medical ignorance for people with severe ME. It shows how the medical establishment made the situation worse instead of better. First-hand accounts from patients, caretakers and medical experts paint a shockingly confused state of affairs and underscore the urgency and frustration around this issue. This film is a tribute to those whose voices must be heard. It can be seen on DVD or Downloadable from Mubi.com by clicking on the picture below. To see an introductory video in YouTube for four minutes, please click here.
Natalie Boulton has also written a book called “Lost Voices from a Hidden Illness”, 2008, currently sponsored by Invest in ME. The book can provide:
- An opportunity for people who are usually invisible and unheard to speak for themselves, so that their situation can be seen and understood more clearly.
- The evidence of the devastating impact this physical disease has on individuals and their carers and families.
- The plight of ME sufferers to be more noticed by the public.
- Help to change a widespread lack of comprehension based on general misinformation, vague definitions, guessed numbers and statistics, to the development of empathy and concern for those who are so ill.
- Education for the medical profession, the public and others such as wider family.
- Encouragement for a sense of community among ME sufferers and those supporting them.
This book can be ordered in Invest in ME website.