Otterhead Estate Heritage Update September 2014
OTTERHEAD ESTATE HERITAGE UPDATE September 2014
1. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society (SIAS) members completed excavating a stoke hole containing a greenhouse heating boiler.
2. Forest School located an old well that will require safety fencing. A pipe is visible that could have conveyed water to a pump house; another possible item for future SIAS fieldwork.
3. A linear feature cut into the valley side east of the Otterhead Lower Lakes was cleared of vegetation by teams from Groundwork South West Trust in 2010-2011. The feature is not shown on old maps so its age is unknown as well as its purpose but It does provide an opportunity for an additional walking route for visitors east of the lakes. It is now known as the Otterhead South Drive. It is likely that the feature was never completed and there is a current project to resurface where necessary thereby providing a present-day use for the feature as well as making access to the feature considerably easier than it was even a few years ago. Photographs showing work in progress by Groundwork South West teams are on the Otterhead Estate Trust website:
The photographs will be found in the Otterford section of the Estate’s Photo Album.
4. Two of the shrubberies containing heritage plants have survived. The shrubberies at first glance seem to be full of rhododendrons, however work has been carried out to protect four mock orange (Philadelphus) plants as well as a privet (Ligustrum) from overgrowing neighbouring rhododendrons. Similar work has been carried out to protect less strongly growing heritage rhododendrons.
5. Heritage features on Forestry Commission leased land have been inspected with a Forestry Commission officer.
6. Two visitors with connections to the Lewis Lloyd family (owners of the estate from 1893 until 1938) were shown the site of Otterhead House and there was a useful exchange of information.
Roy Coombs September 2014
- How to Find Otterhead Estate and Lakes
- Otterhead Welcomes You
- Visiting Otterhead: Access Rights for Visitors
- Otterhead Postcodes
- HAVE YOUR SAY: how to contact The Otterhead Estate Trust
- EVENTS CALENDAR
- OTTERHEAD ESTATE NEWS
- OTTERHEAD ESTATE AND LAKES SLIDESHOW
- Otterhead Estate Information Sheets
- PHOTO ALBUM
- A Short History of the Otterhead Estate
- Walled Gardens Restoration
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Reawakening Otterhead
- Taunton Midweek Conservation Volunteers
- The Lost Gardens of Otterhead House
- The North American Rhododendron maximum at Otterhead
- Bohemian Hybrid Knotweed at Otterhead
- Himalayan Knotweed at Otterhead
- Himalayan Balsam at Otterhead
- USEFUL LINKS
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update November 2010
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update March 2011
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update October 2011
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update May 2012
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update October 2012
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update May 2013
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update September 2013
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update June 2014
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update September 2014
- Photographs on this Website
- Guided Walks
- Otterhead Estate Walks
- Photographs of The Glen taken by Glen Volunteers
- Otterhead House Lake Higher Cascade