Himalayan Knotweed (Persicaria wallichii) is not closely related to Giant Knotweed, Japanese Knotweed and their hybrids. It is a herbaceous perennial and is invasive though not so invasive as the notorious Japanese Knotweed. Knotweeds have often been transplanted during various types of earth movements but at Otterhead are among the surviving ornamental plants in the lost gardens of Otterhead House. Knotweeds were introduced into this country as ornamental garden plants in Victorian times when the gardens at Otterhead were being developed.
Himalayan Knotweed at Otterhead May 2008.
Himalayan Knotweed at Otterhead August 2008.
Many visitors to Otterhead over the years in summer will remember this plant appearing to block an old drive. In fact the path as used passed through the original planting of this knotweed at the edge of the former lawns and the drive (now cleared) was hidden mainly by rhododendrons. It would not have been planted in that location close to Otterhead House if it had not been thought to be an attractive addition or at least a talking point and curiousity by the then owners.
Copyright The Otterhead Estate Trust Company Ltd. 2011-2017.
- How to Find Otterhead Estate and Lakes
- Otterhead Welcomes You
- Visiting Otterhead: Access Rights for Visitors
- Otterhead Postcodes
- HAVE YOUR SAY: how to contact The Otterhead Estate Trust
- EVENTS CALENDAR
- OTTERHEAD ESTATE NEWS
- OTTERHEAD ESTATE AND LAKES SLIDESHOW
- Otterhead Estate Information Sheets
- PHOTO ALBUM
- A Short History of the Otterhead Estate
- Walled Gardens Restoration
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Reawakening Otterhead
- Taunton Midweek Conservation Volunteers
- The Lost Gardens of Otterhead House
- The North American Rhododendron maximum at Otterhead
- Bohemian Hybrid Knotweed at Otterhead
- Himalayan Knotweed at Otterhead
- Himalayan Balsam at Otterhead
- USEFUL LINKS
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update November 2010
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update March 2011
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update October 2011
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update May 2012
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update October 2012
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update May 2013
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update September 2013
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update June 2014
- Otterhead Estate Heritage Update September 2014
- Photographs on this Website
- Guided Walks
- Otterhead Estate Walks
- Photographs of The Glen taken by Glen Volunteers
- Otterhead House Lake Higher Cascade