May 2020 we are offering join in sessions for anyone who would like help growing fruit and veg, and would like to learn from experience at KEF. To express interest or to request a place please send a message via the contact page or to email@example.com. It would help to plan if you outline any specific interests.
Dates: Tuesday 5th May 17:30 - 19:30
Sunday 17th May 14:00 - 16:00
Please bring gardening gloves and wear suitable clothes and footwear. It can be muddy after rain. Eye protection is advised.
Topics to be covered may include:
- How to grow your own apples: propagating apple rootstock, grafting; selecting apple varieties, summer and winter pruning, thinning the crop
- Other top fruit: plums, quince, medlar, cherries, chestnuts, almonds, hazelnuts/cobnuts, pears
- How to grow your own berries: white, red, perpetual strawberries; gooseberries, mulberries, currants, blueberries, raspberries
- Studying and amending the plot (drainage, windbreaks), improving the soil: compost or not, green manure, chop and drop, diy wood chip, ground cover
- Planting seeds, planning, growing, hardening off, planting out
- Perennial veg: asparagus, rhubarb, bamboo, artichoke
- Chickens, ducks etc. (briefly)
- Propagating: hardwood cuttings, division, strawberry runners
- Seed saving
- Harvesting and storage
- DIY polytunnel design and construction