We have previously offered specific days with sessions for anyone who would like help growing fruit and veg, and would like to learn from experience at KEF.
Covid has prevented this for now, but you are generally welcome to join us for our work parties and learn about what we are doing.
Topics we covered would include:
- How to grow your own apples: propagating apple rootstock, grafting; selecting apple varieties, summer and winter pruning, thinning the crop
- Other top fruit: plums, quince, medlar, cherries, chestnuts, almonds, hazelnuts/cobnuts, pears
- How to grow your own berries: white, red, perpetual strawberries; gooseberries, mulberries, currants, blueberries, raspberries
- Studying and amending the plot (drainage, windbreaks), improving the soil: compost or not, green manure, chop and drop, diy wood chip, ground cover
- Planting seeds, planning, growing, hardening off, planting out
- Perennial veg: asparagus, rhubarb, bamboo, artichoke
- Chickens, ducks etc. (briefly)
- Propagating: hardwood cuttings, division, strawberry runners
- Seed saving
- Harvesting and storage
- DIY polytunnel design and construction