Welcome To Charndon Parish Council's Website
The next meeting of the Charndon Parish Council duly elected on the 6th May 2021 will be held on the Tuesday 29th June 2021 at 1900 hrs. If any parishioners wish to submit questions prior to the meeting please feel free to contact the Clerk directly on 01296730052 or via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a community website, it is intended to be informative, inclusive and transparent. We want this site and its supporting social media pages to serve as a focal point for community matters, issues and concerns - large or small. Your views, opinion and comments should and must shape our decisions, direction and strategy. We aim to use technology to support us in this vision and to remove old world buruacratic process.
The site will continue to be improved and developed. Your Councillors will endevour to ensure that the information on this site is both relevant and up to date in a landscape of the significant challenges that North Buckingham faces.
Charndon - means 'cairn hill', cairn being a Celtic word for a ceremonial hill or pile of stones.The hamlet was recorded in the Doomsday Book in 1086 as Credendone. Charndon was part of The Hundreds of Buckingham.
Hundreds were first mentioned in the Laws of Edgar in 970, and by the time of Ethelred the term referred to an area of one hundred hides for the purpose of taxation. For many centuries after this the Hundreds were used as a fiscal, judicial and sometimes a military district. These units were thus used for the collection of Danegeld (later subsidies), and the holding of courts for both civil and criminal matters, originally these were held every month, then every fortnight and eventually after 1234 every three weeks. In addition, a sheriff would tour the county twice a year to hear special complaints. The meetings were usually held in the 'open' and at a well known local landmark, such as an earthwork, tumulus, or tree, e.g. in the Cottesloe Hundred it was at a barrow, or, 'low' from which it takes its name, and for the RisboroughHundred was at the ancient earthwork of that name. Later hundreds usually met in a town or village.
In 1086 at the time of the Domesday Survey there were 18 hundreds in Buckinghamshire, and possibly even as early as that they had become grouped into threes. By the beginning of the forteenth century, with one exception each had become a complete Hundred, thus reducing the total to eight. In 1086 the Hundreds were Stone, Risborough and Aylesbury (which became Aylesbury Hundred), Burnham, Desborough and Stoke (continued three separate Hundreds known as the The Three Hundreds of Chiltern), Ixhill, Ashendon and Waddesdon(which became Ashendon Hundred), Yardley, Cottesloe and Mursley (which became Cottesloe Hundred), Stodfold, Rowley and Lamua (which became Buckingham Hundred), and Bunsty, Seckloe and Moulsoe (which became Newport Hundred).
Although this site is believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system onto which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the the authors or Charndon Parish Council or any other contributors to this site.This site and its contents are protected by Section 47 of the Copyrights Act 1988. Contents of this site are available for viewing only and duplications of any part of the site is prohibited without prior authorisation.