Thank you for visiting the CaSSTA website. CaSTTA stands for “Campaign for Sustainable Transport in the Taunton Area”. We are an action group set up to press for improvements to transport and travel in the Taunton area.
Who or What is CaSTTA?
CaSTTA stands for “Campaign for Sustainable Transport in the Taunton Area”. We are an action group set up to press for improvements to transport and travel in the Taunton area. Most people seem to agree that it is high time something was done.
This is not just a local issue. Amid growing global concern about climate change, it is recognised as essential that we decarbonise the economy in general, and transport systems in particular. Transport is the one sector in which carbon emissions are still on the rise.
Here in the UK, in 2012 the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) concluded that the total cost to society of traffic on the nation’s roads was £ billions greater than is commonly recognised. It itemised the problems of congestion, road casualties, greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, and noise, among others. They also concluded that motorists have been favourably treated by government policy decisions in recent years. This has been to the detriment of the 25% of households without a car, and those who seek to reduce their car use.
The aim of CaSTTA is in essence to reduce the Carbon Footprint and other hidden costs of our transport system, by:
- Pressing for the creation of a safe, affordable, reliable and convenient transport system that gives emphasis to public transport, cycling and walking, so reducing the need to travel by car.
- Supporting the transition to affordable electrified modes of transport (both private and public), generally agreed as an essential ingredient in decarbonisation of the transport system.
- Promoting the more efficient use of cars through car-sharing and car clubs, and encouraging alternatives to commuting by car, such as electric bike pool schemes and working from home.
- Encouraging communities, councils, employers and schools/colleges to embrace the personal and social benefits of adopting sustainable and flexible travel practices.
- By these means, reducing the congestion of our streets, air pollution, noise and danger to other road-users.
CaSTTA at present comprises members of several different local “sustainability” action groups, but welcomes input from anyone who lives in this area, and who agrees that these aims are worth pursuing as a matter of priority – for the benefit of all of us.
(Associated groups: Taunton Transition Town, Transition Athelney, Transition Town Wellington, Taunton Area Cycling Campaign, Wivey Action on Climate & Environment)
1 North Street