Home

Wootton

 

Wootton is a small village and civil parish in North Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 5 miles (8.0 km) south-east from

Barton-upon-Humber, 7 miles (11 km) north-east from Brigg and 3 miles (4.8 km) north from Humberside Airport.

 

Wootton is an Anglo-Saxon settlement and was recorded in the Domesday Book as "Udetune".

 

The Anglo-Saxon church of St Andrew is constructed of stone in Early English style, and was restored in 1851. Wootton Hall is located to the North of the village and was built in 1796.

The village is surrounded by arable land and has retained its character as a result of its designation as a "limited growth settlement" by North Lincolnshire Council. It is known locally for its large pond, which lies at the eastern end of the village. There was a village windmill on Green Lane, but it was demolished in the mid-20th century. Whilst there is no longer a village shop or post office, there is a village hall, a small primary school and a public house – the Nags Head. The village water pump has recently been restored and is located on High Street.

The 2001 Census recorded 492 residents in the parish of Wootton, inhabiting 216 properties.

Wootton came second in the Campaign to Protect Rural England's 2009 Best Kept Village competition

Contact Information

Small Map

Wootton Parish
Wootton
North Lincolnshire
DN39 0XX

wootton-webmaster@live.com