Posted by Voice Admin on

The default image size is a bit stingy, yeah. It dates back to when people used to have much smaller monitors I think!

I have changed a setting in your photo album that means that if you click on the image it now lets you view the original. These are perhaps in some cases rather too large!

I can also set the default "Viewer Size" for photos in your album. For example if you look on this site you'll see that it has been set larger (max 800x800 in this case).

I can set this for you too, if you like. However, note that it does not affect existing images, only newly added images, so you'll have to re-upload your pictures if you want them to appear at this larger size.

Thanks

Voice Admin

Posted by Voice Admin on

Question for anyone who has opinons on such things!

Do you think I should increase the default size for all sites, to 800x800?

Thanks

Voice Admin

Posted by Birmingham Society of Model Engineers Ltd on

Thanks for your reply re image size.

My own personal view on size would be dependant on the content of the image and the default resolution of the PC screen.  My own screen is 1920 x 1080

Most of the images on The Birmingham SME site, are of mechanical items and being able to zoom into the fine detail is most useful.

If you need to limit all images to a particular size, then 1280 x 1024 would I think be more desirable.

I think what we are aiming for, is the ability to show an image full screen if so desired.

Incidently how has the example site, been able to set their images to 800 x 600 max?

I note also, the the final image size does depend largely on the image file size uploaded to the site. I've just had to change a couple of ours, as when viewed full size the image was still very small.

Best regards.

Posted by Deleted User on

I can't speak for others, but could you change it for 800x600 for my site please.

We would like our photos to be larger - can you change the settings on my site too please?

Thank you!

Posted by Joe Oldak on

Hi,

I've changed the config on the photo album for the three sites in this discussion (Birmingham SME, Study Buddy, and Beaumont Diving) such that:

• new images are resized to 800x800 max rather than 400x300 max (correct aspect ratio is always maintained)
  • by clicking on an image you can view the full size original

Note that it won't automatically resize existing images to 800x800 max - though if you like the new size I will look into doing this for all sites. Since the site already stores the original it shouldn't be too hard for me to rescale them all for you, save you re-uploading!

I'm aware that the photo album app is a bit primitive compared to what is on offer from the likes of Flickr etc, and hope to look into modernising it somewhat in the near future.

Thanks

Voice Admin

Hi

Looking at the Birmingham SME website this morning, the photo size does not seem to have changed. Each photo still displays at 400 x 280 nominally.

They are not being resized to 800 x 800 as per your previous post.

However, Clicking on each individual photos does then give a full size version which is fine

Best regards Ken T - Webmaster Birmingham SME Ltd

Posted by Joe Oldak on

Indeed so - the 800 size only affects new pictures. Do you want to try it out and see how it looks?

If the new size is good, then I can run a script which will update all existing photos to the new size. But I didn't want to do this until we were happy that the new size is good!

Thanks

Voice Admin

Admin,

This looks good to me - updating all of the images to this size would be a great saving of time and the new size would improve the experience for the club members - thank you.

Thank you for updating the photo size on the StudyBuddyClub website.  I've just added some new photos and the bigger size is much better.

We'll shortly be working on the PiltonRetreat website - could you please amend that website to be able to automatically show the larger photos, before we start updating it?

Thank you

Posted by Joe Oldak on

Hi,

I've updated it in Pilton Retreat.

I've not yet updated it in all sites, nor run the script to update existing photos. I want to ensure I've tested the script a bit more first :-)

Thanks

Voice Admin

Hi

I have added an additional photo to the site and it does display at 800 x 600 which is fine and the ability to display at 100% is still there if needed.

Will you please  run the script to update all the existing photos to 800 x 600

Many thanks - Ken T - Webmaster Birmingham SME Ltd