The Friends of Beveree has formed to protect and improve the Beveree wildlife site in Hampton, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. South West London is lucky to have amazing green spaces from parks and recreation grounds to nature reserves, community orchards, greens, allotments, National Trust and English Heritage gardens, RBG Kew and Royal Parks.
Many people are surprised to learn that local authorities in the UK have no legal duty to provide or look after parks and green spaces. Community involvement is a vital way to support parks, and 'Friends groups' play a key role. SWLEN facilitates the set-up of, and supports, many 'Friends of Parks' groups across Richmond Borough with practical support, advice and networking.
Why start a Friends group?
- facilities in the park could do with improving, such as play equipment
- to raise the quality of the whole green space
- to meet and work with other people in your neighbourhood
- there is an issue or concern that needs action
- to work with the Council to improve facilities
- to improve habitats for wildlife
- create benefits for all users
- a green space or park might be threatened
What does a Friends group do?
- meets together regularly over the year
- addresses concerns and issues, and identifies and supports common interests and needs
- works with the Council's Parks Department
- helps to plan improvements for facilities
- talks to contractors and maintenance staff and agrees management plans with the Council
- supports or runs events such as seasonal celebrations at Christmas, a 'Big Lunch' or a Summer Fair
- runs activites such as 'work days' for planting, conservation or litter collection or guided walks and talks
- applies for grants and professional support
- helps the community safeguard its green space
- enables people to participate in the group across age and background
- creates a website to promote the group and membership
- runs a mailing list to keep people in touch with activities, news and events
To find out more about friends groups visit SWLEN's website
Being kept updated
If you would like to be kept updated about the set-up of the friends group please complete you details on this link http://eepurl.com/casnrn and this will add you to the mailing list.
Currently this website, the friends email address and the Mail Chimp (for the mailing list) accounts are being maintained by SWLEN, a charity dedicated to helping people and organisations protect and enhance the environment. These will be provided to the group once a committee is formed with full training and support provided. Futher information about the charity can be at www.swlen.org.uk
c/o SWLEN, E.T.N.A. Community Centre
13 Rosslyn Road
020 8892 0590